MG Magnette Converted

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jimbo and Steve,

Glad I put up the progress shots for you to see. For dios I have 5 on the go including Peleliu and 36 assorted shelf queens primed and ready for painting. Other than Peleliu and the recent Catapult dio, what you see me posting are builds long finished easily 3 years ago. I'm not as prolific as I used to be but much more detailed and conscious.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, more of the MG. I printed out the dials and sandwiched them onto two disc and cut the edges into a hexagonal shape and glued them onto a pre painted walnut scheme dash board easily done with three tones of brown and black finished with clear lacquer.

mag0049.jpgmag0050.jpg

Masked the whole interior (after the inside door panels and floo carpets were painted grey) and grill and sprayed Humbrol gloss racing green in thin layers carefully making sure no orange peel or puddles built up.

mag0051.jpgmag0052.jpg

The seats and vinyl canopy were painted Tamiya black and lightly coated with satin varnish.

mag0053.jpgmag0054.jpg

I didn't have the latest chrome silver so settled the shiniest silver I had.

mag0055.jpg The trimmings and detail come later.

Cheers,
Richard

Attachments

• mag0056.jpg
    mag0056.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2
  • mag0057.jpg
    mag0057.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is looking very nice. I have though jut seen it was in the completed section.... Hm It was I that has moved it to the Under Construction section, I will look forward to the finished car with loads of wonderful photos... ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That looks very nice. Even more so when you think how old the kit is.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Ian, Jimbo and Colin,

Thanks for relocating the thread to the constrution section Ian. The kit was completed around four years back I think and I posted the completed build on the first page so this is just a recap of my blog but it is the first time here.
Old it is... I hope to find another kit of this to build it as it is and perhaps in red as it should have been.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Little detailing were missing and needed to be fabricated for this conversion like the grab handles made from two disc and a strip of carved plastic. I painted up the existing rear light holders and added foil for the rear view mirror.

mag0058.jpg mag0059.jpgmag0060.jpg mag0061.jpg

Painted up the figure as an RAF officer and the bonnet belt...then I gave the panel lines a pinwash of black.

mag0062.jpg mag0063.jpgmag0064.jpg mag0065.jpg

Something was missing at the back and I realised the belt faster for the spare wheel wasn't given in the kit.

mag0066.jpg mag0067.jpg

So I used thick aluminum foil for the belt and fuse wire for the buckles

mag0068.jpg mag0069.jpg

And this completes the build including the addition of plastic tubing for the exhaust pipe.

mag0070.jpg mag0071.jpg

So this concludes quite a fun build after a round of rubbing compound and Tamiya polish. Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
An excellent result. I admire your skilled conversion from the standard kit into this.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jimbo,

I didn't get the dimentions right for the back having not enough reference plans. It should be wider covering at least half of the rear fenders. I added spacers but that should have been the warning sign. Anyway glad the build was completed in time for the local GB years ago.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Richard

Beautiful! Great work on the detailing. The figure really sets the build off well. A nice subject to have on the mantle piece. Well done sir:thumb2:

Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve and Mick, the figure for me was the fun bit...it seems the only subject my wife allows displayed in the lounge. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard