Micro models

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Never seen those before....pre-decimal as well.....must be sixties or earlier.

First Name
Carl
Found a job lot of various boat etch Upgrades. Half of which I have no idea what they are for. Must post some pictures.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
they pop up on ebay from time to time.

I've often thought to buy one just to try and build it, but if these are early card models, which I suspect they are - no thanks!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Working downwards this is my take on it....
Photo 1, you have the instructions.
Photo 2, (and 5 and 6), etch for a sailing ship. It has the rat lines (triangular bits) on it. I think these are all together because the material looks the same. It’s probably nickel silver which is more expensive, and much easier to solder, than brass. These look very high quality.....
Photo 3, generic ship parts, probably to go with the 1/200 Bismark set.
Photo 4, etched set for Bismarck.
Photos 5 and 6, etch for a sailing ship, 5 looks like block and tackles, and 6 has the gingerbread decorations for the stern cabin. Look for a 1/12 ship Hohenzollern to see what the search turns up.
Photo 7, Jagdtiger bits.
Hope this helps
Tim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Photo 1 also shows two sheets of printed parts of the model ships waiting to be cut out.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
HMV were a prolific maker of card models, mainly late 19th, early 20th century, they did commercial ships, as well as warships - these etch sheets were for superdetailing, sold separately - they weren't cheap. The Hohenzollern was the Imperial German Royal Yacht ( Kaiser Bill's )
HMV went bust about ten years ago, but I think their models may be still produced by a later maker
Dave
ps the Micromodels are collectors items, if they are original issue, there have been more modern reproductions

First Name
Noel
I can remember Micromodels that originated in the 1950's. Their range was quite prolific and there are websites where the range can be seen. I think there is someone who has the licence to sell reproductions of them. One poster said, card models no thanks. A bit dismissive as their buildings particularly make up into lovely little models. At one of the Milton Keynes model shows there was a card modelling association displaying and they had a beautiful Micromodels Hampton Court Palace model on display and also the Old London Bridge in miniature.

First Name
Carl
Working downwards this is my take on it....
Photo 1, you have the instructions.
Photo 2, (and 5 and 6), etch for a sailing ship. It has the rat lines (triangular bits) on it. I think these are all together because the material looks the same. It’s probably nickel silver which is more expensive, and much easier to solder, than brass. These look very high quality.....
Photo 3, generic ship parts, probably to go with the 1/200 Bismark set.
Photo 4, etched set for Bismarck.
Photos 5 and 6, etch for a sailing ship, 5 looks like block and tackles, and 6 has the gingerbread decorations for the stern cabin. Look for a 1/12 ship Hohenzollern to see what the search turns up.
Photo 7, Jagdtiger bits.
Hope this helps
Tim
Thanks for that, it was a bit of a mixed bag, my late father in
Law was a prolific buyer of stuff towards the end and we keep
Finding folders full of stuff like this. I guess it may come
In handy but unless I buy some of the related boats/ships itll
Probably just gather dust.
as you say the one etch is very thick compared to the rest, feels like you would have to snip it out rather than cut with a knife.

First Name
Carl
HMV were a prolific maker of card models, mainly late 19th, early 20th century, they did commercial ships, as well as warships - these etch sheets were for superdetailing, sold separately - they weren't cheap. The Hohenzollern was the Imperial German Royal Yacht ( Kaiser Bill's )
HMV went bust about ten years ago, but I think their models may be still produced by a later maker
Dave
ps the Micromodels are collectors items, if they are original issue, there have been more modern reproductions
Maybe I’ll just keep the micro models as a collection rather than make them. They look too small
For my eyes anyway.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Regarding the etch, unless you think you want to use it, or keep it for sentimental reasons, it might be worth doing a little research. I’ve found out of manufacture etch sets go for good prices on eBay, well, railway based sets do anyway!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
One poster said, card models no thanks. A bit dismissive as their buildings particularly make up into lovely little models.

That poster was me!
Not meant to be "A bit dismissive." thanks. More a humorous, tongue in cheek comment based on my having built card/paper models, that's all.

First Name
Carl
Regarding the etch, unless you think you want to use it, or keep it for sentimental reasons, it might be worth doing a little research. I’ve found out of manufacture etch sets go for good prices on eBay, well, railway based sets do anyway!
No real sentimental value in them, I may be able to use a few bits but most are too
Specific to the model so may well just sell them off as and when. Perhaps someone on here has a use or is about to make the model that may want to buy them?

First Name
Noel
Point taken Salad Dodger! Card is a bit more tricky than plastic, so I can see where you are coming from.
I have a copy of the Old London Bridge to build when I have finished what I am working on now. So it will be interesting to see how I get on with scoring, cutting, bending and gluing card with unfamiliar adhesives.

Re the photo etched shown earlier, I can make out the Bismark fret. Someone mentioned that one of the frets was for a sailing ship. Not sure about this although some ratlines were on it. Maybe for a steam sail?
The Aber PE tends to be generic in different scales for railings and steps etc. Marcle Models sell it I believe for their 1/400 scale card ship models and perhaps in other scales too.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That someone has a name :tongue-out3:
Dave sorted the Hohenzollern etch higher up. It’s for Kaiser Bill’s royal yacht.....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The detailing set ( with the pink object on the right ) is for the Norderney, an early tanker..............'hmv nordeney.jpg
And here's the Kaisers yacht (!!)
hmv hohenzollern.jpg
What the 1/12 parts are - no idea - it does say Plate D components, so part of a much bigger set!
Dave

First Name
Carl
The detailing set ( with the pink object on the right ) is for the Norderney, an early tanker..............'View attachment 406096
And here's the Kaisers yacht (!!)
View attachment 406097
What the 1/12 parts are - no idea - it does say Plate D components, so part of a much bigger set!
Dave
Thanks for the additional info Dave,
Well if anyone makes any of these models best let me know.