Mig 15 Fagot 1/48( Korean build ) Sig

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi chaps and chapesses well here we go again on yet another build.

This will be my entry for the Korean War Group build.

Revell 1/48 Mig 15bis ( old monogram moulding I believe but a simple kit.

Few raised panel lines and normal but I do believe it could do with some tarting up a wee bit. I could go down the daunting road of 100% rescribe but I am not that confident and rivoting ( aghhhh )

I'll work with what I have

I have ordered an ejection seat which will be more detailed than the kit offers and some PE to try and make this a more acceptable entry. ( still waiting on this but it is ordered) just hope it fits. I like this kit as it has a nice detailed weapons bay, will need extra wiring etc but looks nice. There are other extras that can be bought like barrels and pitot tube, wheels set but I'm trying not to go too much OOB

A large decal sheet is included but I am unsure of how accurate this is and I'm hoping some Russian flight exec can point me in the right direction if I need more. Until this time I'll be going with ref pics sourced from the old tinternet.

On with the artwork and some sprue shots. Sprues are a light grey( 2 )of and a clear plastic cockpit canopy.

Comments and any help and advice welcome.

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is my planned example to create.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pilot has nice detail.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
It looks a good kit Robert, I'm in watching
When my ejection seat comes in I'm hoping to remove the seat that's in the cockpit tub and put in the after market one ( hoping it fits ( although it says it's for a trumpeter model

Regards

Robert

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
When my ejection seat comes in I'm hoping to remove the seat that's in the cockpit tub and put in the after market one ( hoping it fits ( although it says it's for a trumpeter model
Regards

Robert
Well if it's just the seat I can't see a problem with it fitting Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well as you can see from the kit part it's pretty basic and what I plan to put in its place is the other Quickboost version which I think is superior.

However from the pics you can see there is detail surrounding the seat which I don't want to destroy so it's careful careful cut cut.

I'll wait til other seat arrives before I start hacking ( I mean cutting )

Cheers

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

F

Fenlander

Should be a fun build Robert. Look forward to seeing how that seat fits in.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well seeing as I can't really start this kit as per normal as in office first

I've decided to start on the wings.

Not bad moulding except 2 mould pins but easily removed. Although I doubt any jet would have its air brakes open on the ground ( unless under inspection ) I will have this fighter showing all its bits and bobs extended.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Should be a fun build Robert. Look forward to seeing how that seat fits in.
Me too Graham ( I think the base is surround I'm hoping

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi guys

A quick question. Has anybody painted a Korean pilot before? Any scale?

In the Revell fagot there is a nice detailed pilot which I am thinking of posing by the aircraft.

However the colour uniform seems a bit vague. I have found a b/w pic of the pilot I believe Revell sculptured the pilot on but many old pics are black and white so is he in flight suit or a jacket and trousers?

The colour of the parachute he carries? Straps etc are they khaki ?

So any help would be well helpful

Regards

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

First Name
Dave
It certainly looks like a Monogram kit. I've built quite a few,although not this one. They are usually well detailed for their time and pretty accurate. But the fit of parts isn't the best. So filler and patience is required. That Quickboost seat looks really good. I like their products.A cheap way to improve an old kit.I'd be tempted to buy the gun barrels or at least a bit of metal tubing. I think they make a big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well the cockpit seat and detail set arrived today. The ejector set is tiny but I think will fit after I do some dr Kildare operation on the cockpit tub.

Dry fitting of fuselage halfs seem OK and also dry fitting of wings looks ok however as Dave said I may have filer on seams but nothing major.

I eventually opted fir the brass 37mm and 2 X 23mm brass barrels which also comes with pitot tube.I also decided to go for the Aires wheel set which again looks that much nicer IMHO

See what you think

Regards

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Just ordered myself some after market decals too from Hannants as I say if your gonna do it right do it right and this will be a special " right" ( I'm hoping )

Robert

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice add ons robert! The wheels look excellent. Looking at the photo of the korean pilot i'd say that monogram modelled their pilot on this picture , he looks identical !!!, cheers tony

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Nice add ons robert! The wheels look excellent. Looking at the photo of the korean pilot i'd say that monogram modelled their pilot on this picture , he looks identical !!!, cheers tony
Thanks Tony ( you may be right but what colour is the uniform? ( I can't paint him black and white

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well the surgeons been but taking out the original seat I've now got to replace some side walling around the new seat. I saved the computer displays and read outs but heh it will all look the dogs best bits when it's all finished

Pics and comments welcome

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is the gaps I have to fill with plastic card

image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 4539

Nice work Robert.You're right it should look great with all the gubbins;)