Mig 15 Fagot 1/48( Korean build ) Sig

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Today I thought well I'll try and get the gloss primer on the Fagot but then I thought oh business end of the fagot the 37mm and the two 23mm.

Using a .8mm drill bit I first took off the plastic barrels then after filing smooth I drilled the holes for the brass barrels, also in the barrels set is a antenna base for the aerial wire so that too had .8mm drill hole( right side of cockpit

I have cemented the 3 gun mounts to the model and the rear of the 37mm housing came away with the weapons inspections hatch so I'll have to remove this and add to the hatch later but for spray/ primer etc I'm leaving in place. Still have to detail the weapons bay and nice grubby wash.

Even with clean up the 37mm mount needs a smidgen of filler on the side to be flush with the fuselage.

I've also started painting the undercarriage wheels etc

Pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Very nice work so far Robert, don't worry about the priming just yet get every thing together and ready first and make sure all the gaps are filled properly and smooth. You can use any colour paint first for that job just spray on as usual and you will be able to see any areas that need extra work then when alls well you can then spray your gloss black primer.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Very nice work so far Robert, don't worry about the priming just yet get every thing together and ready first and make sure all the gaps are filled properly and smooth. You can use any colour paint first for that job just spray on as usual and you will be able to see any areas that need extra work then when alls well you can then spray your gloss black primer.
I totally agree with you there Ian as I'm sanding away and then the gaps just pop up and more filler more sanding. Want to get it smooth and right first time, or as near damn it anyway

D

dubster72

Robert, Humbrol filler can be thinned with cellulose thinner. I use it all the time for little gaps - it's basically what Mr Color Dissolved Putty is.

Cover the area next to the gap with masking tape to protect it, apply some slightly dissolved filler & use a cotton bud moistened with cellulose thinner to smooth it off.

As Graham said, a repeat application might be necessary as the filler cures & shrinks.

Then a little sanding with high grit pads & you're done! Remember to remove the masking tape when your sanding to blend everything in.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Robert, Humbrol filler can be thinned with cellulose thinner. I use it all the time for little gaps - it's basically what Mr Color Dissolved Putty is.
Cover the area next to the gap with masking tape to protect it, apply some slightly dissolved filler & use a cotton bud moistened with cellulose thinner to smooth it off.

As Graham said, a repeat application might be necessary as the filler cures & shrinks.

Then a little sanding with high grit pads & you're done! Remember to remove the masking tape when your sanding to blend everything in.
Thanks Patrick that's a real helpful tip

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
After carefully sanding with high grade paper I eventually got a smooth finish on the surfaces. I gave it a good wipe down with IPA to clear any dust collected. Once areas were masked up I have the whole model 3 light coats of Vallejo Surface Primer ( metal coat ) gloss black.

Results are very pleasing IMHO and now I'll leave 24hrs to cure in a specially converted plastic box with lid ( old storage box wiped out first of course.

Pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some very nice work Robert, but I don't wish to upset you but if you spray the metal colour now the seam on the top and it looks like a bad mark on the left wing will stand out like a sore thumb

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good robert , the black primer gives a nice tough finish once its cured for a day , cheers tony

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Some very nice work Robert, but I don't wish to upset you but if you spray the metal colour now the seam on the top and it looks like a bad mark on the left wing will stand out like a sore thumb
I did notice that too and I went round the whole model with 12000 grit and seemed smooth etc I then wiped with ipa and I'm thinking I may have caught with the cloth but I'll attend to this before I give another spray with the primer, these testing times heh Ian but I learn from my mistakes.

Always feel free to comment feedback any way ( thick skinned me ) and I think it's beneficial to take negatives with positives

Kind regards

Robert

D

Deleted member 4539

We often learn from our mistakes Robert. ;)

There is no shame when things don't go quite right.And a lot of people including myself often miss seam lines until a basecoat/primer is put on(that's one of the reasons we put it on)

Anyway it seams(no pun intended)you have got the hang of your new airbrush:smiling3:.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well back to the Mig shop we go.

As the rest of the Mig is looking nice with the primer and I do not want any more errors ( wishful thinking )

I have taped off the offending areas that need the extra attention and then put squaddie white down.

I wil leave overnite to cure and in morning I'll remove the tape and sand down smooth before I attempt the next light coat of primer. ( taking Ian's advice I'll brush with a lighter Tamiya colour again ) to check for any faults before attempting primer.

HonestLy I thought I had it last time but I'm very grateful to everyone for their help in me obtaining the best NMF

Pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I spent a long time and finally got it fixed the roots seams to a very smooth and acceptable level.

I repainted with Tamiya xf21 to check smoothness before spraying the primer on and I'm pleased with this new result and think you might agree

Pics and comments more than welcome

Cheers

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The wing roots look better robert , as Ian says any tiny flaw will be magnified ten times when the silver goes on. Cheers tony

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Looking good Robert
Thanks Ian for the positive feedback ( it's modellers like you that I try to emulate the better builds) however I'm a long way off from there yet.

With the new primer on I'm going to leave 24hrs before starting the top coat......

Regards

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
First Alluminium metal coat went on today.

It will need a second coat prob 2 but thought I'd post some progress pics of the finish which I have to say looks quite nice IMHO

I know it's not 100% perfect but I'm thinking not bad for first attempt.

Pics and comments welcome

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Just getting great advice here

Now the first coats on I have to leave to cure overnight before I attempt 2nd coat ( prob tommorow after work )

Thanks again Ian

Regards

Robert

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Just getting great advice here
Now the first coats on I have to leave to cure overnight before I attempt 2nd coat ( prob tommorow after work )

Thanks again Ian

Regards

Robert
Looking good Robert.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear you can put another coat of aluminium now if you want too, I was talking about the Steel colour to wait at least 12 hours to cure before you mask for it and paint.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Looking good Robert.
Sorry I didn't make myself clear you can put another coat of aluminium now if you want too, I was talking about the Steel colour to wait at least 12 hours to cure before you mask for it and paint.
Thanks Ian

I'll leave it for today just been one of those weeks this week but I'll defo do in the morning then and then leave to cure

Thanks again

Robert