Mig extra thin, anybody used it

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon

I like Tamiya extra thin but the smell gives me banging headaches and Julie goes nuts about the smell. So been using plastic magic. No smell but it evaporates quickly and if i drop a part i have to apply it again so a pain

So does anybody know if the new Mig.extra.thin is smelly?? And whats it like to use ie how quick does it evaporate??

Thanks bob

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Would like to know that as well Bob, Iv'e tried other several recently including VMS Fast set not bad but still a slight smell ( available from John) and plastic Magic 10 sec cement, NO smell but doesn't glue as well as the VMS or the Tamiya and don't use it unless I have plenty of time to hold the part while it goes off.
Would think that the Mig is very like the Tamiya, just a feeling , could well be wrong.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I think the same as well John, tamiya is great but i have had some bad headaches. Looks like i will have to carry on with plastic magic.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Bob,

I have both TET and Mig Extra Thin. Lately I have been using the Mig. It does have a smell, sort of like the old Testor's metal tube glue. Dries completely in 10 minutes and holds well. I normally can't smell it while using it, but it could just be me. HTHs.

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
TET has a strong smell?

My nostrils must be more damaged than I thought :anguished:
Clearly they must be!!! Either that or I'm imagining that it does stink a bit!!

Hi Bob

I've only used TET but I know a couple of members at my model club have recently made the move to Mig. The smell being one reason. I know one of them said they also found it "less aggressive".

HTH and ATB

Andrew

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks all

not sure whether to give it a go or will it be a waste of loot :upside:
Why not wait until you run out of TET and then get some them so you don't waste the TET you have. The people I know seemed pretty complimentary about it.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bob do you not wear a mask when usein smelly glues ? I do an if you did than hopefully no headaches an could you put on a pic of it so I know what it looks like
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I do not use TET Andrew, i use plastic magic as it has no smell and has a very good thin brush in the lid but it evaporates quickly, and often if i drop a part by the time i fit it again the glue has gone so have to do it again which is a pain

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good idea Chris but the other problem is the smell in the house, and if its raining (again) or cold i cannot leave the windows open

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Good idea Chris but the other problem is the smell in the house, and if its raining (again) or cold i cannot leave the windows open
WELL ive never used it but is the smell really as bad say like F/G resin ? BUT PLEASE put on a pic of it Bob
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Cheers Bob FOR THE PIC an now I know what to avoid as I just bought some tamyia extra thin glue with a built in brush for my kits an ive never used that before is that smelly ? as ive not opened it an just stuck it in the kit box
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
messaged John to see if knows, bugger all on the web

I am planing a visit to a model shop in Cardiff Monday so will see if i can do some serious glue sniffing :tongue-out3:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Bob FOR THE PIC an now I know what to avoid as I just bought some tamyia extra thin glue with a built in brush for my kits an ive never used that before is that smelly ? as ive not opened it an just stuck it in the kit box
chris

it is for me Chris, its a great glue but i have had some bad headaches and Julie has threatened to insert it some where because of the smell in the house

Its very popular so might just not like me :tired:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I do not use TET Andrew, i use plastic magic as it has no smell and has a very good thin brush in the lid but it evaporates quickly, and often if i drop a part by the time i fit it again the glue has gone so have to do it again which is a pain
It does say on it 10 to 15 seconds ! Bob, :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2: