MiG21-MF Eduards Weekend kit.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Joined a cold war group build else where and this is my contribution, a MiG-21MF "Fishbed" Fighter - "Red 687," Jagdfliegergeschwader 3, Preschen Airbase, East Germany, 1990
full

Did a small bit, mostly wheel wells, the drop tanks and the sprds for the RATO system, waiting for that lovely turquoise colour paint to arrive so I can paint the office.
The office chair had 17 parts and still no straps or ejection handles, I did promise myself this would be OOB but that's bugging me and a set of PE belts isn't that much to add.........
full

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Karl
Welcome back to the hobby. Nice choice. Generally these 1/48 Eduard kits are pretty good.
Jim

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The Eduard Mig 21’s are nice kits to put together I built the R a while back. Don’t forget you will need some weight in the nose.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
The Eduard Mig 21’s are nice kits to put together I built the R a while back. Don’t forget you will need some weight in the nose.
Nose cone already full of shot, Eduard seem to leave out how much you need......
Also have the PFM in the stash with all the bling Eduard does for it.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
No moggling last night, wife went to work and I can't leave the weans in the house while I go to the shed, but I did a bit of research, red 687 has 3 drop tanks but Eduard only supply 2, they have omited the ventral one. So I start to dig out my casting supplies, but my silicone has gone off, might still work but I dont want to risk it.
Then I remember the MiG21-PFM in the stash, quick look through the options, no under wing drop tanks needed, maybe just the ventral one depending on the markings chosen so there is a spare I can steal, happy days!

I also bought a set of PE straps and an ejection handle, then things went a bit wrong, must stop drinking and eBaying.........

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
So despite stuff for this arriving earlier I decided tonight to continue doing a scenic base that I started a few weeks ago.
I wanted a rough utilitarian, “it’s not broken, it’s not getting fixed” feel to a taxiway or some part of an airfield. Slabs are 1/48 scale 5m by 3.5m, individually cut from xps foam, edges roughed and each sanded before being glued to an MDF base. The ground, which was tonights addition, is a craft shop ‘Art Mache’ with a touch of pigment added.
174A95C6-A4F3-4DAA-A1AC-BB6C8C92F737.jpeg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice. Here's a thought, maybe the aircraft didn't always fly with three tanks, just two ?

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Looking very nice. Here's a thought, maybe the aircraft didn't always fly with three tanks, just two ?
I have the three tanks now and want to add them. I just don't think Eduard wanted to add one more of the busiest sprues.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice progress Karl , the Eduard 21s are excellent kits . One bit of advice , the fit is so precise in places that even a layer of paint can cause fit issues , make sure any mating faces are paint free. Cheers tony

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Nice progress Karl , the Eduard 21s are excellent kits . One bit of advice , the fit is so precise in places that even a layer of paint can cause fit issues , make sure any mating faces are paint free. Cheers tony
I've notice that on dry fitting, you can't really see as I've sprayed over the masking but I'm doing my best to keep paint off.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Not much bench time last night, a local suicide has left the whole community in a bit of shock, I did however spray my interior with Vallejo's cockpit emerald green "faded". Though I'm now wondering how to get it closer to the pre-painted PE in colour. Thinking of using a blue green filter.
IMG_20200719_105907.jpg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Karl,
I'd use a matt varnish, just tinted with a hint of neutral grey - obviously, starting off very lightly & increasing to suit the panel.
You said that you used Frisk film, because it was cheaper than Tamiya Masking sheet - I'm always looking for cheaper ways to do things - is the Frisk film much cheaper? I've had a quick internet search, and I can't find a massive price difference!
Dave

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I can get 10" by 4 Yard rolls of frisk for about twice the price of a pack of 5 (10" by 7") Tamiya sheets which is about 10" by 1 yard.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
So despite stuff for this arriving earlier I decided tonight to continue doing a scenic base that I started a few weeks ago.
I wanted a rough utilitarian, “it’s not broken, it’s not getting fixed” feel to a taxiway or some part of an airfield. Slabs are 1/48 scale 5m by 3.5m, individually cut from xps foam, edges roughed and each sanded before being glued to an MDF base. The ground, which was tonights addition, is a craft shop ‘Art Mache’ with a touch of pigment added.
View attachment 392092
Are you going to attend those water spots or leave them as some sort of stain ? Not very convincing at the moment

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Are you going to attend those water spots or leave them as some sort of stain ? Not very convincing at the moment
What water spots? There's no paint on that and the mache is still drying as it's only just applied in that picture..........