Might change the models i do

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, having just done some more on the car model I'm doing I've come to a conclusion it seems that you put in all the effort into getting the chassis and engine just right only to realise it's going to get covered up with body etc so nobody will see it, tried to photograph what I've done but it doesnt show up much maybe I'll try again in the daytime. Spent a few hours putting some washes etc like rust on now I feel I wasted my time although I'm getting better at applying them, I think I see the fascination with tanks, there seems to be so much more detail so you can see the result. Next model I start I think will be maybe a Tiger 1 anyone recommend a good one, must say I like Tamiya, any ideas guys ?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Exposing detail is a minefield. Some people like things done up like the real thing and others like exposing detail. some tanks in museums have holes cut into them exposing the hidden detail. Some aircraft models come with clear parts to show off the detail. The choice is yours how you do your model. I take photos of the build as it progresses as then i have an account of what is 'buttoned up' and not really on show. Take many WWII aircraft cockpits. You can detail and customise a massive amount. But in reality how much can be seen once the canopy is fitted? Not much. But YOU'LL know it's there.

Just build how you wan it to be and enjoy doing it.

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I haven’t built many car models (the last one was probably 25 years ago, if not more), but I think you’re right: much of your work will end up out of sight forever. Like Alan says, whether this is a problem depends on how you feel about it: if you’re OK with it because you enjoyed putting it in, then all is fine. But if you think it was wasted effort then it’s clearly not fine, because you won’t feel as good about the model as you might if the word you did was actually on display.

Tanks and aircraft are much better in this respect, I must say: nearly everything on (most of) them is on the outside and clearly visible after construction. The main exception is aircraft cockpits, and TBH, most of the detailing people put into those will hardly ever be seen again either.

If you do want to build a tank to see if that’s more satisfactory to you, then you can’t really go wrong with Tamiya as your first one. Their detail may not be as good as that of some other manufacturers (though it’s better than many others), but you can’t beat a Tamiya model for ease of construction and fit of parts — I don’t think I’m far off if I say nobody does those better than Tamiya.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mark,
go for it! I think I've had a go at most genres of plastic modelling ( except Sci-Fi, an area in which I can only find infinite indifference! ). May I suggest, as an alternative, a motorbike? Tamiya do some nice models in 1/12 - and, you can see all the detail, as it's hanging out in fresh air! Either way, changing the models you make may send you in a new direction - or make you realise that you made the correct models originally!
Cheers, Dave

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, thanks for the input, hadn't thought of motorbikes but have had a thought and as I liked doing my Rocket locomotive I might do another Occre loco, my eye is on the Jupiter have seen the real one when I was a kid and brings back memories. It's a multi material model which as I say I liked when doing the Rocket, took a while to build but it has a lot of detail, picture elsewhere on the forum if you are interested.
Here's a couple of pictures, for discussion only.
CP_steam_loco.jpg0ccre_jupiteraa1.jpg{w=105,h=105}.th.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Kits to build with all the 'good stuff' on the outside:-
Motor cycles, space ships, and ships/boats. Not to forget figures either.
You can build some great cars without going nuts in the motor compartment. So called curb side builds.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Are there models of drag racing cars? I'm sure they have engines on display

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Yes Mark go for it as they say a change is good as a rest
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Kits to build with all the 'good stuff' on the outside:-
Motor cycles
Except racing bikes with big fairings, of course. I once built a Tamiya Honda somethingorother that came with transparent parts for the fairing, though the decals turned out to obscure so much of the engine that it might as well be painted.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I've decided, I'm going to go for the Occre Juipter for my next build, it's a bit expensive but my wife says it will be my Christmas present, just hope it stays at the cheaper price. A month to wait but at least it gives me a chance to finish my current model then I can get myself sorted.