MILITARY TRUCK CN171 NO SCALE MENG MODELS FROM THE FILM WANDERING EARTH

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi All
Some of you will know I built this along side the badly titled Tatra thingy ,the little resin Tatra being so small hardly seemed worth firing up the airbrush, but as the colour call out with this was panzer grey seemed a good excuse to crack open the box.
The kit its self wasn't much more than two hull halfs two small sprues and some tinted windows ,snap fit dropped together no probs zero flash minimal mould lines.
Mig black one shot primer thinned close to or there abouts fifty fifty with mr color aqueous thinner laid on in two or three coats ,by that I go around once then just go around again finally just blow in any areas that look a bit iffy, I dont stop between coats just carry on going till I'm happy. The grays were from the little four bottle mig panzer gray modulation set these were once again thinned with mr hobby aqueous thinner forty paint sixty thinner used in dark to light coats just put down as I saw it if that makes sense ,once again the only time between coats was what time it took to flush through the airbrush.
I'm never sure about a coat of kleer or varnish prior to weathering etc ,this time I opted not to , the driffrent tones on the panels has been done with mig filters of diffrent colours and thinned to diffrent opaceties with bolts bits and knobs picked out in various grays . I've worked my way down one side and started mucking about with the rear panel as is usual with me run first walk later the decals were a after thought but I'm sure they'll blend in.
20210108_160008.jpg
20210130_110939.jpg
20210130_154305.jpg
20210130_154645.jpg
20210130_155256.jpg
Thanks for looking in hope you've read the above all comments and criticisms welcome Dave.

Attachments

• 20210108_160008.jpg
    20210108_160008.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 3

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice finish on that one Dave. Never heard of the film though, I’ll have to look it up.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Looking very nice Dave :thumb2:
Interesting that you can use the enamel based stuff straight over acrylics without a clear coat....I’ll have to give that a try.

D

Deleted member 7181

Love the look of that Dave, thanks for giving it it's own topic.

Most say not to thin the one shot / stynylrez primer at all, but it clearly worked for you.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looking very nice Dave :thumb2:
Interesting that you can use the enamel based stuff straight over acrylics without a clear coat....I’ll have to give that a try.
Si even if I apply a clear coat I'd always apply the filter coats first ,probably came about because I was in the beginning scared of ruining my build by splattering it with a load of varnish but now i no longer suffer from airbrush o phobia lol its still something that some I do some I don't the finish not using it seems to look more organic if that makes sense. I've just got some of the mig lucky satin varnish I'll try it on the next one hoping sheen is better than shine as I've never finish with a dull coat. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David

Most say not to thin the one shot / stynylrez primer at all, but it clearly worked for you.
Thanks Andy must admit I did not know that ,pretty sure I used the old bartsharp 180? With a 3 needle to lay down the primer but I've always thinned it never had a problem in fact apart from the mr colour primer wich I think is lacquer (had a couple of problems not with spraying or finish but using other products over it) I thought the mig one shot was so easy and smooth to use id nothing bad to say about it ,I've just been and read the bottle says no need to thin doesn't say dont but like you say works for me ,thanks good to have you along. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David

Andy just been and read the bottle says no need to thin doesn't say not to ,never had a problem in fact its now my go to primer so easy to use self leveling super smooth it just flows ideal fool proof. Thanks for joining this one Dave.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Dave.

I have a bottle but I haven't tried it yet, so good to hear your opinion on it.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks nice to me David , love the weathering, nice and subtle.
Not heard of the film either sorry. :nerd:

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great little model that, unlike some of the guys I have seen the film which did not do much for me other that the mechanical stuff which is quite imaginitve.

Andy.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks guys , I thought the kit looked fun and diffret cost was no more than a good 72nd er plus free postage from China or Hong Kong so dived in. As for the film had no real idea till I read the box have seen the clips on YouTube but thats about all . Once again good fun to have you all looking in ,the current situation with the missus now working from home home schooling means I've given up my work space but will try and do some more when and if opportunity arrives. Stay safe all Dave.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi all other half moved some of her now office for me to grab a little space at the table over the weekend so not full on but more kinda in and out tinkering got the roof done and muced about with the weapon and rocket tubes so not a lot but something is better than nothing.
20210207_130329.jpg
20210207_130159.jpg
20210207_130244.jpg
20210207_130150.jpg
Its comming on not much to report really but enjoyed a couple of hours at the table. Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Dave. Looks very good indeed.

Will have to look the film up too.

ATB.

Andrew

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Never heard of the film either, but your modeling/weathering brought to mind the APC from Aliens. PaulE

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Never heard of the film either, but your modeling/weathering brought to mind the APC from Aliens. PaulE
Thanks Paul good suggestion probably a kit of it out there somewhere no doubt one purchasable with donations from the human body. Dave

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
That is a cool build, Dave! I really appreciate the subtle weathering.:thumb2: