Miniart 1/16 Athenian Hoplite

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks Neil.

I know what you mean about the white cuirass skirts, but they really did throw back the bronze and flesh. And of course the only reference we have re colours is from vase painting, which is either black, red or white - I wonder if more earthy colours were actually used?

we do know that Roman and Egyptian sculptures at the time were quite brightly painted(I don't know about Greeks), but certainly the colour technology was around. Although I believe what we call white nowadays was not achievable without modern methods- it would most likely have been more off-white.
But as I said, it's your call and it looks great regardless

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Neil

Yes, I'm sure the full range of pigments were available to the Greeks. In this case it really was about trying to get the tones right. The box art shows quite a decorated look, but the sculpt isn't good enough to allow for a consistent flow to the patterning. I've always been amazed by the apparent quality achieved by the Miniart house artist until I saw some close-ups - a much rougher finish than is at first apparent, which is reassuring.