Miniart 1/16 Roman Legionary

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_6646.JPG

After the disappointment of the ICM centurion, I thought I'd revisit this Miniart offering. I've built all of the Miniart Romans before (essentially the same kit with a sprue change for each version) so I know they are do-able. The sculpting isn't as good as ICM's, but the detail is generally better.

The box contents:

100_6648.JPG100_6649.JPG

Not a bad moulding, though there is a bit of flash and some heavy mould lines. The Lorica Segmentata armour is particularly well done. I kept some of the better parts from the ICM figure, such as the sword, dagger and shield, which I may swap in. Another big advantage of this kit is that you get a decal for the shield.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A decal for the shield! Surely not Mr Day? I'm sure you will be able to come up with an outstanding design of your own LOL

Hope you have some fun with this one and that the sculpt doesn't hold you back

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I like your Romans and other ancients.
Steve - he'll paint that shield to his own design :tongue-out3:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Oh, every time, you wowdy webel wabble! Mandy says you're all very naughty boys. and that I should get my good fwend fwom Wome to sort you all out.

Re the shield - definitely the decal.

He's ready for paint:

100_6653.JPG

As with all Miniart figures, this took a lot of sanding and filling to lick into shape. I've swapped the kit sword and dagger for the ICM ones and added the purse from the same kit. Miniart supply small medallions to attach to the shoulder armour, but they're poorly done, so I used the centurion's medallions instead - they're a bit ostentatious for a mere legionary, but they do look good.

I also decided on a different arm configuration (two sets are supplied), so he'll be holding the shield and resting the pilum at an angle. Finally, I swapped the kit head, which looks like Sid James in 'Carry on Cleo' for a Dragon example.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Don’t mention the carry on films Peter, we’ll get the infamy joke next LOL....
looking good by the way,

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Welcome aboard.

Tim - It's all the 'Tony' and 'Julie' stuff that kills me.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Carry on ..............Modelling/Painting, seems like a good theme for the weekend with the forecast Storm Jorge's impact!

Along with "The Life of ..............." we better be careful or we could be put in the naughty corner/step!

The figure does seems to be well muscularly sculpted, so scope for some painting definition too.

With all the metalwork, should be a jolly painting weekend ahead.

Hopefully the substitute head passes muster.

Enjoy the painting

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Very stormy here, so a weekend indoors. The figure has cleaned up quite well, so I'm not too apprehensive about the finish (famous last words). There's a lot of detail on the armour to consider, but that's the kind of thing I enjoy doing.

Not sure about the colour scheme yet. The Romans didn't wear standard 'uniforms' like you see in Hollywood movies. They were self equipped, often with second hand armour and weapons and wore their own clothing. These reenactors have got it right:

roman-battle-26130180.jpgbirdoswald-fort-england-uk-5th-sep-2015-italian-group-legio-i-italica-F1RDYY.jpg

A mix of chain-mail, lamilar armour and lorica segmentata, and a variety of shield designs.

D

Deleted member 6559

Well now........

I painted the head:

100_6658.JPG

A big pile of pooh. The quality is just not there with these Miniart kits, so I'm going to call it a day with this one.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Your P**h, everyone elses

"Wow, I never knew I was that talented a painter!"

Enjoy the uninterrupted painting time, I might just be tempted to get my brushes out too!

No snow yet but we had one hell of a wild windy and rain/sludge/hailstone night, not good for sleep!

Have a good Tamiya day.

Catch up tomorrow

Regards

Steve H