Minicraft SS100 Jaguar (1/16th)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jim,
I've watched the Tour de France for many years now - odd, because I was never a enthusiastic rider ( unless it had an engine! ) - it must be 30 years since I've pedalled a bike!
I'd leave the engine spotless - absolutely no weathering - maybe just a faint wash................
Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Luv watching your work. You're such a neat modeller! Wonderful stuff:thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Steve x 2 and Dave :thumb2: Thanks for sticking with it.
I have been plodding away slowly - OK snail's pace slowly. :smiling2:
Reference photos show that the area behind the seats had padded panels fitted. Refurbished and replicas tended to be fully upholstered in that area but originals show just panels held in place by buttons. Not much will be seen with the tonneau in place but worth a go.
Panels cut from 0.5mm card and button positions marked.
P1050488.JPG
The plastic card shapes were then covered with a thin layer of putty stuff (blue and yellow mix in equal quantities - can't remember its name) I used 1.5mm discs pressed in as the buttons. Imprinted the putty around the buttons to look like the leather was creased.
P1050489.JPG
P1050490.JPG
Only done these two pieces so far.
Thanks again.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim.
Your pulling everything out on this, that dashboard is quite stunning, the engine looks fantastic, I agree with Dave , leave it clean. Seat impression for the leather, is that your idea ? Looks perfect .There is so much great detail to enjoy on this .
John.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Jim,
I’m really sorry that I’ve missed loads of your build....just spent 20 minutes catching up.
Steve is spot on, your such a meticulous modeller and you’ve made an excellent job of the kit....really impressed mate:thumb2:
Si

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks John and Si.
I have been plodding on in between the hot weather and life's problems and at last I sort of feel that this may work out OK in the end despite all the kit's short comings.
Seats finished.
P1050497.JPG
Tyres fitted onto painted wheels - and I only broke one spoke - easily fixed :smiling4:
P1050498.JPG
Both sides of the bulkhead done. Battery fitted. The pedals are too close together but it had to be to fit the footwell. Another example of where the kit is so wrong :angry:
P1050495.JPG
P1050496.JPG
The upper and lower body was given a coat of British Racing Green. That went better than I feared. The glossiness is quite good. It is Humbrol enamel so I'll give it a full 48hrs to cure completely before I decide whether to gloss varnish and/or polish.
P1050494.JPG
P1050493.JPG
Thanks for looking :thumb2:
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
A’noon Jim,
Paintwork looks super smooth with a nice shine....I take it you airbrushed it on? The leather on the seats also looking very good:thumb2:
Si

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi
Scottie - thanks. Despite the kit's shortcomings it is quite fun. Thinking ahead - if it turns out OK I think I'll have to invest in display case.
Si - body is airbrushed. Humbrol enamel thinned quite a lot with their own thinner. I dug out my old airbrush with a 0.5 needle and made certain the paint went on fairly wet. Just had to be careful not to get runs.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I agree with Si, the finish is great, particularly the seats - nicely patinated.

Pete

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Really worth all the extra effort on this one Jim, really looking good.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Very nice paint work Jim.:thumb2:
The seats and panels are really good looking too.:smiling:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks, gentlemen, for your kind comments. Sorry for not replying earlier.
Been a very sad time. Our younger dog, Belle, lost her battle with cancer last week. She was almost 11 and had been diagnosed with terminal spleen/liver cancer a couple of months ago. Right up to the end she had good quality of life but last Wednesday we had to take her to the vet for the last time. The wife and I cried buckets and our other dog, Ceri, who is 13, misses her.
P1030867.JPG
Today I felt able to get back to the bench and I tackled the radiator. The moulded mesh was very flat and there was a 'blob' which I couldn't clean up.
P1050499.JPG
P1050500.JPG
I used my Como mini drill to cut out the center and sanded the edges.
P1050501.JPG
I made a paper template and then cut out a piece of mesh slightly larger all round. It is temporarily held in place at the moment. It is over scale but when the black radiator is fitted behind it it is an improvement I think.
P1050502.JPG
Thanks again guys
Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Got a bit more done. Steering wheel, gear lever and handbrake painted. Had to scratch a new gear lever as the kit one was rubbish.
P1050504.JPG
Oil washed the pads which will fit behind the seats.
P1050503.JPG
I am giving the new Vallejo metal paints a go. 3 stages - gloss black primer, metal paint, finish with a gloss varnish. It has mixed reviews so we will see. Just primed some bits with the black.
P1050506.JPG
P1050505.JPG
Jim

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work so far Jim.
Sorry to hear about the loss of Belle, They are so much a part of the family.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Ian
She was special - a very loyal friend.
I have been studying the bonnet. Typically for this kit it ain't gonna work as the instructions suggest!!! The bonnet consists of 4 pieces.
P1050507.JPG
These are supposed to be held together with metal hinges - way over size. They want the bonnet to fold like the real thing.
P1050510.JPG
P1050511.JPG
On the underside of the bonnet sections are 'lumps' which the instructions say to melt onto the hinge holes. Recipe for disaster!!
There are also loads of deep, round molding holes.
P1050508.JPG
P1050509.JPG
I will clean up each section. remove the lumps and fill the holes and then glue the 4 parts together. I will make the completed bonnet removable although not folding. At least that is the plan :tongue-out3:
Jim

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Sorry to hear about the loss of Belle Jim, hope memories of the good times you had together can ease the pain.

Nice radiator and seat work, good luck with the bonnet plan.:thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Fernando. We do have nothing but good memories of Belle. She was a wonderful friend.

I have been working on the bonnet sections. All cleaned up and the blobs for the hinges sanded off. Sink marks filled. I also fitted some thin pieces of styrene sheet to help locate the sections. On the real car the hinge between the two top sections sticks up like this so I have made a false hinge.
poster_22655.jpg

(for ref only)
P1050515.JPG
P1050516.JPG
Jim