Mirage Hobby 1/350 HMS Spiraea - Flower Class Corvette

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Painting the hull, before attaching to the base is the correct way to go the camo lines are straight & need masking to get right....................
DSCF1786.JPG
You can just about see the difference between the two lighter colours, on the bow, but there's not a lot of difference between Admitalty MS 4 & MS 4a! I'm going to give this a gloss varnish coat & add the hull decals, it's just easier to handle. I'm going to add as many deck fittings, like bollards, as possible & paint the deck dark grey, before adding any deckhouses, funnel, armament etc. The camo continues upwards onto the superstructure, following the straight lines from the hull - looks like fun.............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Bit of a setback.......................went to put the decals on the hull.................. I put one in my decal tray ( water only ) & turned to pick up the decal solutions................ when I turned back the decal had gone! A few stray black bits floating on the surface! I couldn't believe it - I put the second decal in & watched it carefully - in about 30 seconds, it disintegrated! These were the two main pennant numbers either side of the bow. I put a spot of varnish on the stern number & when that had dried I tried to apply it - it hung together long enough to get it on the stern.
An exhaustive search of my spare decals has produced 2 x '08' about the right size, but the 'K' is a bit more elusive. I'll have to look in the stash, to see if I can steal something suitable............................I may be some time..........
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
And so it begins - the sea. I scratched the base surface with a scriber to give a bit of key, for the clay to hang onto. I wet the surface lightly & started to press the DAS in, trying to avoid leaving holes. This is only a first application, to get the bulk of clay laid down.
DSCF1788.JPGDSCF1789.JPGDSCF1790.JPGDSCF1791.JPGDSCF1792.JPG
I used a wet paintbrush handle to get the clay into difficult to reach places. Obviously the edges will need a lot more attention, and the wave needs smoothing out, but I'll be able to do that with a 'slurry' coat.
Now all I have to do, is put this into a cool place, and let dry slowly, to minimise cracking ( a day or two ).
It's just hit 20C here, and it was noticeable that the clay was beginning to dry as I was working it.............
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Dave.

ATB.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
2nd pass at the sea - the obvious ridges & dimples filled in & smoothed over with a wet coarse brush
DSCF1794.JPGDSCF1795.JPG
After another day or so drying, I'll use a knife/rasp to remove any bad lumps, then seal the whole base with a coat of diluted PVA, otherwise any acrylic paint just sinks in & won't cover! I reckon most of the 'sea' surface effects will be done with paint - a deep grey/green base suitable for an Atlantic scene.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After sealing the surface, laid down a coat of Vallejo Olive Grey.........
DSCF1826.JPG
I haven't carried the colour right to the hull, I'll give that special attention later - I'll some greys & greens to the basecoat - not to any particular pattern, but to my fancy!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
stalled on this at the moment, but I will return to it. If I lose the interest in making a model, I find it better to put it aside for a while, rather than make a hurried botch of it! - which is why I have a load of shelf queens!
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OK Dave im lookin forward to when you do return to it as this looks to be a nice dio ps dint know if you had the same trouble has i have got lol
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OK Dave im lookin forward to when you do return to it as this looks to be a nice dio ps dint know if you had the same trouble has i have got lol
chris
Luckily I have a big varied stash, so I can usually find something to catch my eye, and I don't have any qualms about leaving a model unfinished - I've stopped feeling any pressure if any blog is uncompleted!
Dave