Missing Kit parts.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am sure that there has not been a time in the past where a kit that a modeller purchased did not have a missing part ? worse still a defective part that was either badly warped or defective,most responsible kit manufacturers will gladly send a replacement upon request and I have to say that up until now there has not been a cause for complaint or concern about the system.Now that parts are packed in plastic bags there is less chance of loosing the odd canopy but things can still go wrong which is why I am concerned that a well known German kit manufacturer has taken it upon themselves to change the rules which is not in the best interests of the modeller ! now lets take case 1,you get the kit home and check the contents for missing parts and the canopy is missing or the decal sheet is off register,the manufacturer says take the kit back to the shop who will remove the bar code for redemption by the supplier,and you get your money back,OK a bit inconvenient but as long as the shop understands the German companies system then fine,however this is not always so and the said shop will attempt to refer you to the manufacturer ! so any attempts to get your rightful replacements from the manufacturer will fail with again much inconvenience on the part of the customer,not a good situation !

Scenario No.2 is one that I have come across myself whereby you are building up the kit and there is either a defective or damaged part not spotted previously,fine if you have an understanding kit manufacturer who will replace it but what if he adopts the policy of 'Go back to the shop' they are hardly likely to do a refund if the kit has been started.

Now the thing that over-rides all of this for you the purchaser of any retail item is the important wording 'Goods must be fit for the purpose intended when purchased' this is the system in the UK that most reliable established manufacturers understand and abide by,so this attitude of not supplying parts as replacements is just not on,my suggestion is that if this happens to you then write to the manufacturer and explain the situation,explaining that they have supplied defective goods,and you want them to put things to right,not an unreasonable request.

One argument from them is that people are selling defective kits on e-bay and requesting spare parts hence the decision,however with all due respect this is not the problem of the ordinary purchaser,and does not change the system of the law.

So we have two options here either to outlaw the kit manufacturer who will not come up with the spares required to complete the model or to complain bitterly to them and the fair trading people.

Having pointed this out it has to be said that apart from this isolated case of a manufacturer making up their own rules,all good manufacturers supply replacement defective and missing bits,you may have to wait a while but they do appear,inconvenient as there is a delay in building your model but fair.