Mitches Flying Aces Busts

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

fullsizeoutput_1754-600x400.jpeg

This will be my next project; three 200mm busts of WW2 flying aces by Mitches Military Models. The aces depicted are Johnny Johnson, Pappy Boyington and Adolf Galland:

hqdefault.jpgPappy_Boyington.jpggettyimages-477557425-1024x1024.jpg

As is usual with Pavol Ovecka sculpts, the resemblance is there to varying degrees, though the faces perhaps have more creases and wrinkles than they should have - lets call it character. The visor was missing from the Galland bust, and as Mitches has not got back to me, it looks like I'll have to knock something up myself.

I've bought plenty of buffs and yellows for the life-vests, so here we go......

D

Deleted member 6559

These are now ready for paint:

100_5267.JPG100_5268.JPG100_5266.JPG

All extremely well cast, and apart from the removal of some mould blocks, very little clean-up required.

I've made a visor for Galland's cap from plastic card - it's a little thin, but otherwise it won't bend to the required shape - it will look fine once painted. Not sure who to start with, though Pappy looks the most appealing.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking forward to seeing these come on Peter. I still have no idea how I would approach a bust given how bad I am at 1/72 figures.

ATB

Andrew

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Peter,

Those busts look excellent, I’m sure these will be stunning once you work you magic!

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Andrew - I would say busts are much easier than 1/72 figures - full of admiration for people who work at that scale.

Morning Si - No promises!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Nice trio. Would look good mounted together with a nice title "Flying Aces"
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Raring to go Jim, but pole-axed by a stomach bug.

I still haven't mounted my Waterloo commanders busts, so I'll look out a base for them as well.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Matron has a cure for such things, should you want her to call .Hope you feel better soon Peter and with her intervention.:smiling2:
Great trio, were they in a set or just separate kits, agree with Jim's suggestion.

D

Deleted member 6559

Any excuse for matron to call round. If she could just keep me awake I'd be happy.

They are sold individually at £25 each, or as at a set for £55 (sale price) - it's a no-brainer really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Count me in Peter, good to see Johnny Johnson, what a pilot!

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Welcome along.

Bob - I read his book 'Wing Leader' a few years ago. Quite a career.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Managed to buy a signed print, top ace!

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see you back on the busts Peter and three for the price of one blog. You do spoil us. Good luck my friend

D

Deleted member 6559

Bob - A great thing to have.

Steve - Thought it was about time I did some 200mm work.

Johnny's head:

100_5269.JPG100_5271.JPG100_5272.JPG

Oh this was hard! As usual with Pavol Ovecka's faces, the eyes were extremely narrow and hard to get at, and surrounded by a forest of wrinkles which took ages to unravel. I nearly gave up several times, but got somewhere in the end. I'll no doubt fiddle with it a bit more.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Quality work as always. That is quite a bargain price - always a nice feeling when you do get a bargain :tongue-out3:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim

Though I get the impression that Mitches cast to order, it looks like they're running down the V Bust range, which is a shame.