Mitches Flying Aces Busts

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Si - A 12! Thank you sir.

Pete - I never think of superlatives with my work, rather the opposite.

Steve - Glad Friday went well - no wonder the knee's wearing out with all that partying.

I found myself working on Joe's brow again last night. It's now the best I can get it but it still niggles. Hopefully I'll forget about it as I work on the next one. 'Have fun with Adolf' is not something you say to someone every day is it?!

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Not so sure I had a good day with Adolf:

100_5308.JPG

A real pig to do. This one was not as well finished as the other two, particularly around the eyes, where some of the crucial parts, like the upper eyelids, had quite an uneven finish. In the past I would probably have abandoned it, but I'm slowly learning to pull back and consider the thing as a whole before I do anything rash.

I attached my scratched visor before finishing, which was just as well as it completely changed the play of light over the face. That meant repainting areas under the shadow, and adding more highlights where the face emerged into the light.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Adolf looks good from here, and a more popular name than Genghis or Attila!

I work with a Vlad, but he uses his middle name!

Adolf seems to be less pruney that the other two, too.

Its a very popular image and is instantly recognisable, and nice work on the scratched visor.

Should be another good day for good light, we have a blood red sun rise with a snowman blue sky, up't North.

Have fun with the paint

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

How to destroy the use of a perfectly innocuous first name - become a dictator!

This one looks better in the morning light, though some adjustments are needed. Did some research on the uniform and found that, as a Generaleutnant he'd have gold braid and white facings. He's just wearing a white shirt under the black leather coat, which simplifies things.

Weird weather at the moment, but the light is better today - very gloomy yesterday.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I like him :tongue-out3: He'll certainly fit in with the other two.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank Jim.

As this one didn't quite have the quality of the other two, which meant that I was losing interest, I decided to get him finished:

100_5316.JPG100_5315.JPG100_5317.JPG

The yellowish light is a reflection of the sunlight coming through the blinds. I decided to leave the leather coat slightly glossy, hence the effect.

I'll photograph all three together now:

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Jim.

The leather was fairly easy to do - just dry-brushing German grey, then basalt grey over black, then picking out the detail. The sculptor has done himself proud with the texture.

OK, here they are:

100_5318.JPG100_5324.JPG100_5323.JPG

Pretty enjoyable to do, though my energy and enthusiasm was running out towards the end. I think that if I do another trio in the future I'll do each between other builds.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A jolly nice collection Peter.Usual high standard of painting as to be expected.The sculptor likes his wrinkles certainly.Galland is an odd looking dude.
Nicceeee
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Richard.

The sculpts are slightly dodgy, which dents my enthusiasm for the finished things (as does my paint work) but at least I finished them as a set.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You have done a great job of getting so much colour shade onto his black leather jacket. Outstanding work. We have been privileged to see three great works of art all at once. However for your own sanity it probably would be better to do a bust in between figures. Thanks for sharing

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
"The leather was fairly easy to do - just dry-brushing German grey, then basalt grey over black, then picking out the detail "
Yeah right !
Easy to do or not Peter it's off the scale in my book, that leather is outstanding.
:flushed::flushed:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great finish and quite a trio.

I can see the sense in splitting up a future project to save burning out.

Are there many more trio opportunities out there?

I have seen quite a few Young's 2nds that could make up groups, and they would be super projects.

I have even got some in my stash, but its going to be awhile before I am confident enough to start them!

What's next on your bench?

Back to re do some of your 1:16 figures?

Looks like another clear and bright day ahead

Have fun with the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Glad you like them. I didn't realise how tired I was getting as I went along. Definitely one thing at a time in future.

John - Well, dry-brushing is a a pretty simple process, though I suppose that even that does take a bit of practice - sorry if I sounded flippant (arrogant!).

Steve - There are more Mitches trios, and as you say, it would probably be possible to make some up with Life Miniatures or Young's busts (though costly, and I'm broke). As I've found with this project though, the risk is that some of the series will inevitably be better than the others, with the result that the less successful ones will bring down the overall effect. Here, I'm quite pleased with Johnny, OKish about Joe, but hate Adolf. Johnny is going into the cabinet and the other two straight into storage.

I had a major cabinet culling session last night, stripping down for useful parts first then binning the rest. I kept a couple of the better resin figures for re-painting, but it was quality control time and I felt it was pointless keeping stuff that made me wince every time I looked at it. A scary but therapeutic process.

Next a 1/16 figure....

D

Deleted member 6559

Worry not Andy and John. A cabinet cull is very therapeutic, and anyway, you can always fill it up again. I've just spent an enjoyable afternoon working on a few of the niggles and mistakes dogging some of the remainers.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Andrew
Worry not Andy and John. A cabinet cull is very therapeutic, and anyway, you can always fill it up again. I've just spent an enjoyable afternoon working on a few of the niggles and mistakes dogging some of the remainers.
Bloomin' Brexit creeps in everywhere - we can't escape it!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Certain words enter the subconscious at times of stress........