Mk1 Spitfire Underbelly

First Name
Gary
Not sure if this is paint or here but here goes.

I'm masking up my 1/48 Spitfire and the rear fuselage from trailing wing edge to tail is leaving me in some doubt. I know I can do what i like but looking at images both real and models there seems to be a variety of where the underbelly line meets the upper I've masked in a straight line from wing to rear wheel with next to no undercolour showing from the side. Yet on some images there is. Hope you get what I mean ?

Does it matter ? But having said that what is the consensus ? No Sky showing from the side of the rear fuselage or some ? I know its sounds pedantic but IMO none should be showing or at least a smidgen.

Thoughts ?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Gary
I think it’s always best to consult actual wartime photographs of the particular airframe in question. That said, here’s a couple of Spitfire shots that show the demarcation line clearly. The 2nd pic is a Mk II but the the fuselages are the same. There is no exact answer to your question as there were slight variations in paint masking but if you follow these shots as an example you’re not going to be wrong.

Hope this helps
Paul

Attachments

• 167FF20A-67BB-49CC-BA31-CD220C097565.png
    167FF20A-67BB-49CC-BA31-CD220C097565.png
    341 KB · Views: 14
  • 5DF1E612-6A9E-48E7-98AD-5F420B4DC8F6.png
    5DF1E612-6A9E-48E7-98AD-5F420B4DC8F6.png
    609.2 KB · Views: 15
First Name
Gary
Helps a lot Paul. I've seen some others but those two show the two most common different levels. The left one is lower which personally I like and I think I'll go for that. I suspect there was no real standard and it depended on who did the work in the factory.

Thanks Paul

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Helps a lot Paul. I've seen some others but those two show the two most common different levels. The left one is lower which personally like and I think I'll go for that. I suspect there was no real standard and it depended on who did the work in the factory.

Thanks Paul
Exactly that. There is also variation in the demarcation line at the nose of the aircraft (they don’t always follow the panel line). Again, this is subject to the interpretation of the guys spraying the A/C.
Cheers
Paul

First Name
Gary
And to answer my own question that gives me the same "artistic" licence I guess. Which is always fun. What amazing to me is how I am looking at details like that for the first time ever. OK I've only started modelling again after 45 years but part of the fascination is this attention to detail. Which, of course, "you" can adhere to or not. Great fun