Model building masterclass-Building a Slingsby T-21 Training glider from scrap materials.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You do not need to buy expensive materials to build models,if you look around at what is thrown out everyday you will be amazed at what it can be recycled into,in this ad hoc series I will be showing you how to build a functional flying scale model of the Slingsby T-21B Sedburgh training glider as used by the Air Training Corps back in the sixties to give Air Cadets flying experience.
My material for this will basically be some high density foam blocks that were given to me from a doctors surgery,the blocks contain delicate medical equipment and if not salvaged would end up in landfill,so lets make a start by joining the blocks together to get the size we want to build to.
For the plans by co-incidence the latest issue of RCM & E contains some retro drawings to build a balsa/ply Slingsby T-21,all we will be doing is using the outline shapes to save time for our foam,paper and card version.

Here is one I built earlier,well not really but this was a static Slingsby Sailplane made some years ago from firewood,it shows the graceful shape with the distinctive 'Frog'nose and the two seat side by side seating,we will be building a larger flying model with our chosen material-High density foam,you could also use builders blue or pink foam which has very similar qualities,I will be showing you simple ways to cut this material and finish it off right up to the painting stages.

For the basis,and that is all we will need to get the shape here are our plans from the RCM & E Magazine.

Here I have joined two blocks of foam together end on with ordinary Everbuild 502 PVA adhesive,in readiness I have cut two paper templates from the plans the side view of the fuselage and the plan view.
We are on a roll and have something to start with.

Watch this space !

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Make a paper template first of the fuselage side view and plan view,carefully attach the template to the block of foam with silk pins and draw around the template,when the wind dies down outside I will show you how to cut the sides from the block,to do it at the moment would create a snowstorm of foam debris ! yes its a messy process but well worth the effort,standby....

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Fuselages have been skinned with brown paper,they are strong and light.

P1070092.JPG

P1070093.JPG