Model car painting

First Name
Thomas
hi all,
I'm new to this forum and a amateur in model building.
Can anyone advise me on what's the best option on painting a 1/24 model car parts.
Should I hand brush them or do I invest in a air brush kit???

Thomas

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Welcome Thomas I build a lot of cars and I use a brush for the smaller parts but I can't get on with an airbrush so I use rattle cans for the larger parts like the bodywork but its up to individual preference as to witch way you want to go.
Peter

First Name
Thomas
Welcome Thomas I build a lot of cars and I use a brush for the smaller parts but I can't get on with an airbrush so I use rattle cans for the larger parts like the bodywork but its up to individual preference as to witch way you want to go.
Peter

Thank you Peter,
The last couple of done have been brush!!!
I was wondering if there would be a better finish with an airbrush??
Another problem I see is I can't seem to find a airbrush colour match to the Tamiya or hum roll paint codes

Thomas

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
if not this one, just type in ( Tamiya convert to ) what ever Paint, and there are loads off chart converters for model paints and they all have different paint companies all on the top off the chart converter ie r.a.l revel gunze testor these are just a few off the paint names

R

Rik101

I too am currently building 1/24 and 1/25 cars and use Halfords car rattle cans for body work and brush for interior and small parts. Sanding brush marks out with very fine (2000 grit) wet and dry sand paper can give a nice smooth finish. If you take a look at my Ford Torino thread, I used a very light sanding on the parcel shelf to get a texture I'm very happy with as an example.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
rattle cans since you can actually the the perfect match for what you are building......get a can of gloss varnish for a top coat...........matt black for interior......can of something like aluminium for the engine etc

i once did a bike kit entirely with rattle cans cept for the indicator lens just to prove to myself it could be done

P

Plastickitbasher

Hi,
Internal parts paint by hand.
Body shell use a rattle can for now as there's no need to worry about thinning paint for the AB.
Pop the rattle can in some warm water first for a few minutes as this will help when laying the paint down.
Use an old metal coat hanger and bend it so the body shell sits on it firmly as this will give you something to hold when spraying.
Get some fine and super fine polishing sponges use these between coats as they will help deepen the shine of the paint.
Get some PVA glue and use this for all the clear parts.
Most importantly enjoy building cars.
Regards
David

First Name
Thomas
This is great guys
Thanks very much
The kits I'm building are belkits!!!
Not sure how skilled these are but they look hard enough to me lol
I'll keep you all posted as I go!

First Name
Thomas
Hi,
Internal parts paint by hand.
Body shell use a rattle can for now as there's no need to worry about thinning paint for the AB.
Pop the rattle can in some warm water first for a few minutes as this will help when laying the paint down.
Use an old metal coat hanger and bend it so the body shell sits on it firmly as this will give you something to hold when spraying.
Get some fine and super fine polishing sponges use these between coats as they will help deepen the shine of the paint.
Get some PVA glue and use this for all the clear parts.
Most importantly enjoy building cars.
Regards
David

Hi David
I am about to make a start on these kits!!!
What's the best paint and brushes to use for a good brushless finish???

Thomas

P

Plastickitbasher

Thomas
Rattle cans (spray paint) for the body shell GO HERE
Small areas and fine details use either small round or small flat brushes GO HERE or GO HERE
Paints is down to a personal choice as what works for me may not always work for you, Vallejo model colour and Vallejo Model Air should be a good starting point.
Cement, use either Tamiya extra thin or Mr Cement S for plastics
PVA for clear parts