Model Clean Up

First Name
Drew
When you’re cleaning your kits prior to building what’s the technique, it’s something I’ve never done.
Is it a dip in soapy water, a soak, a wipe?
Is it the same for resin? I imagine this would be more porous so I’m thinking this may hold more moisture than a plastic kit.

What’s your pre-build routine when it comes to clean up?

D

Deleted member 7181

For regular parts, I take them out of the box and start building.

I read there used to be a need to clean parts beforehand due to mould release agents, but that isn't an issue with modern kits. You'll get more contamination on it from your hands during building than it'll ever have from the box, so a wipe down before paint or primer might be needed, but that's all.

For that I tend to use isopropyl alcohol (ipa). Two cloths, one wet, one dry. Wipe on, wipe off.

I believe resin needs more cleaning before you work with it but I very rarely use it so will let someone else answer.

Metal / photo etch parts get a clean with ipa before I do anything with them.

First Name
Drew
For regular parts, I take them out of the box and start building.

I read there used to be a need to clean parts beforehand due to mould release agents, but that isn't an issue with modern kits. You'll get more contamination on it from your hands during building than it'll ever have from the box, so a wipe down before paint or primer might be needed, but that's all.

Thanks. I’ve never felt that I needed to clean them up either but other people always do it so just wondered what the general feeling was.

Would be good to know about resin parts from others though.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Drew
Like Andy I don't wash/clean plastic or resin parts on the sprue. Photo etch parts I do clean with a fibre glass pen before cutting from the fret. Before painting/priming I clean with Lighter Fluid - just pour some into a container and brush over with a soft brush. It degreases and evaporates quickly.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I wash both before, with parts on the sprue, and after build is complete. In both cases I use a sink full of water with a few drops of dish soap. I then go over all surfaces with a soft brush while the kit is immersed in water. When this is done I rinse them under running cold water. However, you probably don't need to do this pre-build with modern kits, but after build is essential to get rid of finger grease and build swarf. I would add the caveat that I always have the plug in while I do this. Lost parts to the carpet monster are one thing, but loosing them to the Kraken that lives down the plug hole is avoidable ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve only ever washed sprues when there was obvious mould release agent (oily stuff) on them, using water plus washing-up liquid. This has been exceedingly rare — probably no more than two or three kits over three decades of serious modelbuilding. Never had any problems with paint not sticking on uncleaned models otherwise.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
on the sprue, warm water, old soft tooth brush, air dry

First Name
Kevin
Pleased I found this thread as I was just about to ask the question:rolling: this helps me a lot.

D

Deleted member 7917

.....if you do clean the plastic sprues in soapy water, put them in the spin drier for 10 minutes(Low heat of course)
This saves having to put them out on the washing line to dry.
Lou Scannon.
No spin drier, a windy day ... sprue 3 ended up two neighbours down ...

Orsen Cart

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't clean regular polystyrene kits anymore and haven't done for years. It seems entirely unnecessary to me and makes no difference to the end result. On the dozens of unwashed kits I have built I have not once had any issue during construction or painting.

Resin? Yes I do clean resin kits, because I have had issues, not so much in sticking them together as much as getting stuff to stick to them. I do the soap and water routine followed by a wipe with IPA (where possible).

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It's a matter of routine - I always wash the sprues in lukewarm soapy water, rinse in clean water & air dry - it's probably not necessary, but I always do it. I don't tend to wash the assembled model before painting, - I don't have very oily hands!
Dave

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I never do it. Better to just wipe the plastic with ipa before painting. Why wash at the start when it will just get finger grease and sanding rubble all over it.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm with Paul never have never will and come on guys dam waste of pale ale if you ask me.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
No need, some of the old school soft plastic figures need it, and resin often does (Though when casting resin I never used a mould release.), never washed metals either.

A guy on the old Military Modelling forum always wiped down with lighter fluid before priming, easier to get than IPA as newsagents normally have it.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've washed one or two, the rest I forgot to - no difference.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm with Paul E. and Peter Day. I use oil base paints which in my opinion give better adhesion on most surfaces. Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Am I missing something!?? My models are a right state before I paint them. I have to use a fibre glass pen to clean everything up and sand down areas that need it. The model is covered in dust and grime from being handled over several weeks. I must just be a mucky modeller :smiling2: :tears-of-joy: