Model kit glue

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thank you Barry

The slower evaporation will help me. Holding parts together is not often possible

Bob

Reactions: JR

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Bob. Don’t write off the thinner stuff. With that you can use masking tape to position parts, like wing halves or fuselage halves. This means you can get them properly aligned before applying cement to the join in various places away from the tape. Five minutes later remove the tape and apply more cement between the other applications. You don’t have to hold the parts between your fingers.

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I love using Mr Cement S but i also use the Revell Contacta for the 'slower' bits. But now you've mentioned the SP i might have to have a look at that too

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Many thanks Barry, very good advice, much appreciated

Bob

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Guys
I am coming a bit late to this thread but I thought this may be of some interest.

Back in 2006 I did an article for MilMod about glues. Attached is a pdf - sorry for the poor quality, I know I do not have the original text any more. It included the following table cross referencing materials to materials to types of glue.

View attachment 335689

One word of caution: it was produced in 2006 - 13 years ago!!!!

Peter
Thanks Peter , now downloaded

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Just to throw in my two pence worth I recently purchased some Tamiya Extra Thin and find it much more odorous than the MrCementS that I have been using for a number of years

Nowhere near as bad as MekPak, Plasweld or Humbrol Poly which I use / have used for years - all slow setting and aggressive which can be useful sometimes

If the smell bothers anyone then you can get this MrCement which apparently has a citrus smell - presumably it just masks the normal smell though and the fumes are just as bad as normal