Model making when away from home

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
To be honest no I don't Dave.

You may do it to keep you out of the bar but it looks like your in the mini fridge in the room with the bottle on the desk ;) :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
\ said:
To be honest no I don't Dave.
You may do it to keep you out of the bar but it looks like your in the mini fridge in the room with the bottle on the desk ;) :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:
The beer was £1.25 from Sainsburys as opposed to £3.49 from room service

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yes I do, but usually only when I go to Exeter or Morlaix. Funnily enough Dave, you are only a few miles from my office in Hook. Be sure to visit Alton Model Centre if you haven't done so already. It's mostly railway stuff but it is well stocked with scratch building materials, and tons of other supplies. If you have transport I recommend a visit to SNMstuff in Farnborough for paints and tools, they do the full model air range of paints etc.

And if you are around at the weekend the Watercress Line is a touch of nostalgia.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Yes I do, but usually only when I go to Exeter or Morlaix. Funnily enough Dave, you are only a few miles from my office in Hook. Be sure to visit Alton Model Centre if you haven't done so already. It's mostly railway stuff but it is well stocked with scratch building materials, and tons of other supplies. If you have transport I recommend a visit to SNMstuff in Farnborough for paints and tools, they do the full model air range of paints etc.
And if you are around at the weekend the Watercress Line is a touch of nostalgia.
Thanks for the info Rick. I've been to Alton model centre some years ago. Not many kits,but lots of railway stuff as you say

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
AMC has changed hands recently and the new owner has started stocking more plastic kits. If you are still in Alton next week IPMS Farnborough have their monthly meeting on Monday night, you'd be most welcome to drop by I'm sure. Myself and Pete (takes lousy photos) attend....and there is a bar.

C

Cooperman69

Love your commitment to the cause Dave :smiling3:

Funny thing is I was away on a cruise last week and had a few days at sea getting to and from our destination. I said to the missus wouldn't it be an idea to have a scale model club on board to pass an afternoon or two. Surely with 3500 passengers there would be 1 or 2 with an interest to "have a go".

Where did you get that portable workstation Dave? Looks ideal for using indoors as them cold winter months in the shed just don't appeal to me.

Colin.

First Name
Dave
I

\ said:
AMC has changed hands recently and the new owner has started stocking more plastic kits. If you are still in Alton next week IPMS Farnborough have their monthly meeting on Monday night, you'd be most welcome to drop by I'm sure. Myself and Pete (takes lousy photos) attend....and there is a bar.
I will be here for a few weeks. Let me know where the meeting is (and post code for my sat nav) and I will try to attend

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
I
I will be here for a few weeks. Let me know where the meeting is (and post code for my sat nav) and I will try to attend
Here you go, http://www.ipms-farnborough.co.uk/index.php?id=meeting_location

Bring £2 for the subs and some spending money as there are a couple of members selling stuff too.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Love your commitment to the cause Dave :smiling3:
Funny thing is I was away on a cruise last week and had a few days at sea getting to and from our destination. I said to the missus wouldn't it be an idea to have a scale model club on board to pass an afternoon or two. Surely with 3500 passengers there would be 1 or 2 with an interest to "have a go".

Where did you get that portable workstation Dave? Looks ideal for using indoors as them cold winter months in the shed just don't appeal to me.

Colin.
It's a Humbrol product given to me by my step daughter.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I've thought about it in the past, but didn't want to risk carrying it on an aircraft home. I suppose I could pop it up on the dash...

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I don't travel enough to do any model making away from home, but I have a friend who does.

He doesn't do any glueing or painting, but takes a kit; a couple of files, sanding sticks & sandpaper; a small snap blade knife and an small modelling board.

He separates most of the parts, trims them & generally cleans them up; leaving the very small parts still on the sprue. Then when he gets back home most of the kit is all ready for assembly.