Modeling wheel ups and covering/filling the wheelwells

J

jlk2

I make models for my 5 year old grandson, and so the planes must be wheels up so that he can fly them for his dogfights.

It's sometimes a "real" pleasure trying to assemble the landing gear doors to cover the wheelwells, and I am wondering if there is a better to cover them.

I've considered using tape (if so, how to meld it to the surrounding areas), or filling them with balsa wood and then covering them with modeling putty are what I can think of, but I would be interested in hearing other ideas.

So, any suggestions?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I like a bit of "wheels up" action myself! I always adjust the kit doors and wheels (if at least partially visible) to fit. It can be a bit tedious but there is often detail on them which would be hard to reproduce. Many doors are not flat but have a profile which would also be tricky though not impossible. I almost invariably have to thin the edges of the doors to make them fit flush and often have to make other adjustments as well.

You don't say what scale you are working in but if you are in a small scale and detail isn't an issue,or you don't mind a bit of rivetting etc, you could easily make new doors from plastic card of the appropriate thickness.

Cheers

Steve