Modelling the Mark 1 A spitfire in 1/18 scale

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi all have started collection the spitfire Mark 1A magazine, got issues one and two after brekkie will get issue three , going to be an expensive build, no painting, brings back memories of building a 24th Airfix spitfire yes did come with a motor, will have to track down the pic of me holding it , was 19 at the time .

The propeller blades are metal and same with nose cone , so far the motor housing the motor fits in is held by two screws, you can glue but I wont , very unusual them picking this scale, I
can't stop half way through very hard to get hold of a spitfire in that scale .

It wasn't easy to get the gears lined up right as you can change the pitch of the blades pure awesome, I hope the led wiring be easy to wire up they are for the guns, even the landing gear is powered that be fun , cockpit dash board lights up as well, .

Issue comes out every fortnight , not too bad, always being after a model that everything works

20200923_110511.jpg

20200923_111115.jpg20200925_085000.jpg

20200926_082646.jpg

This weeks issue with needed parts , get the the first part of the fuselage., will need to do some gluing of the motor's pipes , seen the video on how to build it on spitfire model.com.

Tony from down under

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Tony nice spitty but i just hope the company that makes it keeps goin so you can finish it as if they do it will be a cracker im surpised you have the time to build this what with your ship build an bridge build an railway build
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony nice spitty but i just hope the company that makes it keeps goin so you can finish it as if they do it will be a cracker im surpised you have the time to build this what with your ship build an bridge build an railway build
chris
HI Chris, Yeah so do I they did that over here too, a bit worried the third issue is late not coming till Thursday now being three weeks , totally agree this spit is why I had to start collecting it , even has sound affects when you fire the guns and they light up working wind tip lights and tail lights , wonder if the Spitty had landing lights .

The mag comes every two weeks, spend a couple nights putting those parts together, some be a challenge, I challenges , layout is during the day when weather is kind, got a hot day this week 32 degrees, cold at night still.

Good to hear from you, keep I will send you an email tomorrow night .

Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Still waiting for a back order on mag's 3&4 , in issue 3 the underneath bottom fuselage part the motor sits on I am waiting for, fingers crossed the waiting mag's arrive this week ,I don't think I will finish the whole model but is there any kits out there of a Spitfire I can modify.
20201103_082016.jpg20201103_082137.jpg

Not doing much today, meeting tonight an doing out for tea before hand , catch up on the forums, I will complete the engine and cockpit and hopefully the the landing gear.

Tony from down under

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi all I made great progress on Monday, had to buy some super glue as some of the parts are metal, I finely go the back order mag issues, the project is starting to look like a nose of a spitfire, parts included the motor, tried it in and was nice snug fit.

I will have to wait for the next few issues has to the top of the motor and screw hols so I can screw the motor in place, a hell of a lot of work ahead with all those hoses and pipes , I look forward to issue 12 as that has the battery box and circuit board to power up the motor, wow tarts up like the real thin can't wait, only 5 away .

Next Sunday I will work on the super charger , issues 6 and 7, every two weeks I get the next issue gives us a break ,$19 each hopefully keep my wife in a good mood to get the needed issues to complete the build, has sound affects of motor starting up firing the guns and so on .

Was a difficult build gluing the front parts to the nose, more to come, no idea when I be getting the nose top panel.

20201121_113700.jpg20201123_162043.jpg20201123_162052.jpg20201123_211834.jpg

Tony from cloudy down under.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi all I made great progress on Monday, had to buy some super glue as some of the parts are metal, I finely go the back order mag issues, the project is starting to look like a nose of a spitfire, parts included the motor, tried it in and was nice snug fit.

I will have to wait for the next few issues has to the top of the motor and screw hols so I can screw the motor in place, a hell of a lot of work ahead with all those hoses and pipes , I look forward to issue 12 as that has the battery box and circuit board to power up the motor, wow tarts up like the real thin can't wait, only 5 away .

Next Sunday I will work on the super charger , issues 6 and 7, every two weeks I get the next issue gives us a break ,$19 each hopefully keep my wife in a good mood to get the needed issues to complete the build, has sound affects of motor starting up firing the guns and so on .

Was a difficult build gluing the front parts to the nose, more to come, no idea when I be getting the nose top panel.

View attachment 405789View attachment 405790View attachment 405791View attachment 405792

Tony from cloudy down under.
HI Tony glad you are getting your spitty mags now an looking forward to seeing this built did the ever finish the bismark in these mags as ive never seen one
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony glad you are getting your spitty mags now an looking forward to seeing this built did the ever finish the bismark in these mags as ive never seen one
chris
Hi Chris, yeah, more work on the spitty next week , depends on how hot Sunday might make a start on issues 6and7 , appointments next week on those hot days, be cooler in the hospital , coming back outside. again
How are you going ok, Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, yeah, more work on the spitty next week , depends on how hot Sunday might make a start on issues 6and7 , appointments next week on those hot days, be cooler in the hospital , coming back outside. again
How are you going ok, Tony
Yea we ok Tony ive been busy on my tiger an jen s now thinking of doin some 3D PUZZELS of bigben an tower bridge so that should keep her from getting bored
an we hope you get on ok at hos :thumb2:
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Yea we ok Tony ive been busy on my tiger an jen s now thinking of doin some 3D PUZZELS of bigben an tower bridge so that should keep her from getting bored
an we hope you get on ok at hos :thumb2:
chris
HI Chris, glad to see you and Jen are going ok, even better she has found those 3/D jig saw puzzles, we are ok but dam hot , not looking good for the rest of the week.
Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
I finished issue 7 gluing the detail parts onto the motor , three hour later and motor is starting to look like a Merlin V12 engine , more detail parts next issue , issue will have the battery box and circuit connectors so I can start up the motor, saw on you tube, starts up like the real thing can't ait.

20201129_152708.jpg

Tony from down under

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
At long last the spitfire Marlin motor is finished and glued in the engine bay with the fire wall, the motor support frames was not easy to it especially the frame towards the fire wall. next is the construction on the cockpit framing, will be 11 issues of spare parts list.20210106_192420.jpg20210106_192632.jpg20210106_192725.jpg

Will have to do another video clip of the propeller spinning is awesome indeed , starts up like the real thing , runs pretty fast, have to stay clear , hate to think what it would do with those metal blades , is getting very exciting can't wait to see the cockpit section finished, a lot more work still ahead before it can be screwed to the main frame.

I think be well worth the money and effort with all that detail and the instrument panel even lights up , pure awesome with even the guns light up, that again br a different circuit board

Tony from down under

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Tony.

Ross will look spectacular once finished.

ATB.

Andrew

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Great work Tony.

Ross will look spectacular once finished.

ATB.

Andrew
Hi Andrew, many thanks for the comment will have to check your page, what do you model.
I am now moving onto the second chapter of the build the cockpit, be very exciting indeed, will take 11 issues before finely starting on the wings when she will start taking shape.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew, many thanks for the comment will have to check your page, what do you model.
I am now moving onto the second chapter of the build the cockpit, be very exciting indeed, will take 11 issues before finely starting on the wings when she will start taking shape.
Hi Tony

That's going to take quite some time to build then!!

I build mostly 1/72 scale armour and associated vehicles, NWE 44-45, normally for war games my son I occasionally do, although I do try and have a little bit extra above the base kits we use. Full explanation here...https://www.scale-models.co.uk/thre...ncrete-cows-and-roundabouts.33695/post-457814.

That said I have done a few planes recently and an currently dabbling with a 1/35 vignette for the SimonT tribute GB. It's fair to say that I'm taking it a lot more seriously than in my youth, up to and including having a brush.

Out of interest, whereabouts down under are you? I've been fortunate enough to visit Australia three times now as we have family there. Mostly Melbourne but also Sydney.

Keep up the good work and all the best.

Andrew

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi Tony

That's going to take quite some time to build then!!

I build mostly 1/72 scale armour and associated vehicles, NWE 44-45, normally for war games my son I occasionally do, although I do try and have a little bit extra above the base kits we use. Full explanation here...https://www.scale-models.co.uk/thre...ncrete-cows-and-roundabouts.33695/post-457814.

That said I have done a few planes recently and an currently dabbling with a 1/35 vignette for the SimonT tribute GB. It's fair to say that I'm taking it a lot more seriously than in my youth, up to and including having a brush.

Out of interest, whereabouts down under are you? I've been fortunate enough to visit Australia three times now as we have family there. Mostly Melbourne but also Sydney.

Keep up the good work and all the best.

Andrew
Hi Andrew, I am back in business, had to update my account only three months at a time might do twelve next time , wow you interested into war games, we had the guys at a train show once , I didn't know you can do those games in 1/72 scale . 1/35th scale a bit better than 1/18, I hope they supply a pilot in that scale as I have no idea where to get one from , at least most tanks are in that scale 1/35th. Looks like I or you have to get more info on the vignette is it a by plane for the SimonT Tribute will you be doing a diorama scene. I got the second mag issue of the port side cockpit frame, will finish off the port side and start on the starboard side lots of detail , collect the mag's every week, $20 a pop, be bush Saturday , too hot outside 37 degrees and very humid not inside, will work on the ships bridge I am modelling in 87 scale {HO} scale over 2 metres in length .20210113_203800.jpg20210114_200630.jpg

Happy I can post pics be going over to my train thread now I am back in business.

Sadly I live in S/E-QLD Ipswich west of Brisbane, we could catch up if you visit QLD next time you come over, where do you live .

Take care Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
I glued those pipes in place was easy compared to the motor and have finished gluing in place the parts detail for port cockpit side , this is a much better build , will wait till I
get the next two issues of parts for the starboard side

20210116_114348.jpg

20210116_114405.jpg20210116_114348.jpg20210116_114405.jpg

Tony from down under

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
The cockpit is well under way have joined together the starboard side frame and glued in the panels ready for the detailed parts in issue 17 20210126_090942.jpg20210127_092448.jpg20210129_084052.jpg

I tried deleting the middle pic, when downloading it ended up back in the middle , I will start gluing the detailed parts in over the weekend depending on the weather, waiting for a fine day to work on my layout

Next weeks parts issue mag will have the frame work for the control panel and seat, will have to wait to the following week what the next lot of parts will be , hopefully the frame work for the two cockpit sides, is coming along .

Tony from down under

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The cockpit is well under way have joined together the starboard side frame and glued in the panels ready for the detailed parts in issue 17 View attachment 412479View attachment 412482View attachment 412481

I tried deleting the middle pic, when downloading it ended up back in the middle , I will start gluing the detailed parts in over the weekend depending on the weather, waiting for a fine day to work on my layout

Next weeks parts issue mag will have the frame work for the control panel and seat, will have to wait to the following week what the next lot of parts will be , hopefully the frame work for the two cockpit sides, is coming along .

Tony from down under
HI TONY this should be great if you get all the bits an mags are they still messing you about on them mags ?
chris

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Tony!

Keep up the great work.

ATB.

Andrew