Modelling the Spitfire in 1/32 scale

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Compared to its famous adversary, the Bf109, I find that the iconic Spitfire is poorly represented in 1/32 scale, though nowhere near as badly as the Hurricane.

Having built most examples and studied reviews of the rest, here is a run-down of Spitfire kits in 1/32 scale. I am referring to mainstream injection molded kits only.

Revell Mk 1 - the old 60's vintage kit with raised panel lines. if you search around you might still find examples available. I built this in 1971, when I was age 16 and it was the first 1/32 I built. All I remember was being blown away by the size and detail, but that was then. I knew no better. It is typical of its time and is not up to today's standards.

Hasegawa Mk V. I bought this kit in October 1980, from Beatties in Brighton and the reason I remember it so well is because that very day, a few hours after purchasing it, I was present at that iconic moment in British history when the lady told us 'turn if you want to, the lady is not for turning'. It was a tropical version with the Volkes filter and this was a massive step up from the Revell kit and I thought, it at the time, it was the best fitting and engineered model I had ever built. It was my first Hasegawa and not my last, though it was the last before career and family meant that I stepped out of the hobby until 2012 when I returned.

Revell Mk II. This is a new tool kit that I have just finished as a Mk 1. If you want a Battle of Britain Spitfire in 1/32 this really is the only game in town. It is a step up from the older Revell but not as good as the Hasegawa Mk V. There are a number of accuracy issues and the Revell plastic is prone to warping.

Revell Mk IX. A basic Mk IX which I have not bothered to build and will not build. It is cheap and I know a decent Mk IX can be obtained from the kit, but there is a much better Mk IX out there.

Hobby Boss Mk V. This kit has shape issues and needs a lot of work to add detail but, although I have not built this one, I would choose this over a Revell if I wanted a cheaper Spit (but not as cheap as the Revell).

Tamiya Mk IX. This is the holy grail of Spitfire kits. Superb in ever way and you don't need to spend a penny on aftermarket to get a great result. There are improvements you could make, even though it is no more than gilding the lily. Brass cannon, a cockpit door, placards, engine rocker covers with Rolls Royce on them, will all add something, but are not essential and anything else is a waste of money.

Tamiya Mk VIII. Well, all I said about the Mk IX applies here. If though, you are building a New Zealand Squadron then some resin tyres with a pattern tread might help.

Tamiya Mk XVI. Again, all that applies to the other Tamiya's apply here. This is the clipped wing, bubble canopy version with a bomb to sling under each wing. therefore it can be quite distinctive to the other 1/32 Spits.

So which should you build...

Reasons to build one of the Revells.
  • You really want a Battle of Britain period model. the Mk II (or I) is the only game around.
  • You don't have much cash and have difficulty saving for a more expensive kit and don't mind the inaccuracies.
  • You like sanding, filling and using aftermarket to get an accurate kit.
  • You are a masochist.... well that is something of an exaggeration, there are worse kits around.
Reasons to build a Tamiya
  • You want an accurate, well engineered and detailed kit out of the box that is a joy to build but, still manages to provide some challenges but challenges in a good way.
  • You want true value for money and are not constrained by the cost of a kit.
  • You want a Mk IX - yes there is another, but do you want the best or the second best.
  • You want a Mk VIII or a Mk XVI, that looks somewhat different to the other 1/32 Spits.
Reasons to buy a Hasegawa
  • You want a nice but basic Mk V and don't mind raised panel lines.
Reasons to buy a HobbyBoss
  • You want a newer tool Mk V and don't mind the shape issues.
That is it...... I hope that I did not leave any out.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
One you left out is the old Matchbox Mk. 22–24, which was apparently re-issued by Revell in 2007 (says the Scalemates page I linked to). I know of its existence mainly because I built one over 30 years ago, and still have the wreck of it somewhere :smiling3: As such, I really can’t say much about it, but it has a full interior and probably Matchbox’s typical overly large engraved panel lines and somewhat crude detail.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
One you left out is the old Matchbox Mk. 22–24, which was apparently re-issued by Revell in 2007 (says the Scalemates page I linked to). I know of its existence mainly because I built one over 30 years ago, and still have the wreck of it somewhere :smiling3: As such, I really can’t say much about it, but it has a full interior and probably Matchbox’s typical overly large engraved panel lines and somewhat crude detail.
Thanks for reminding me of that one. I too built that back in ‘the olden days’. You are right, I remember the trenches and the detail was indeed rather ‘blobby’.