Modelling Time

A

Awins

Looking at some of the completed models on the site and the amount of fantastic detail on each of these, I was wondering just how much time we all spend a week or a day on our hobby. I realize some may be retired and have a little more available spare time but just an idea would be nice.

D

Deleted member 4539

I model pretty much everyday. :smiling3:

If I'm painting a 120mm scale figure it can take anywhere between 20/40 hours depending on complexity.

They are usually completed within a 2 week time frame.

I average 30/40 models a year..

D

dubster72

In complete contrast to Ralph, I manage 3-4 models a year! :P ok maybe a few more, but it's definitely a slow process. Although I always get more done in the winter

P

Polux

I'm like Patrick....3 or 4 models per year :smiling3:

For a diorama I need about one entire year (or more)....

Anyway this year I don't built many models....hope will be better the next one :P

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I model in slow time, for example, Ralph is knocking out his 1/72 F-14 in a week or two whereas I started mine in January...but only have the pitot probe left to fit. I travel overseas a lot and have two young children that curbs my modelling time. If only a lottery win would come my way then I'd retire and finish all those kits in the stash....aye right!

PaulTRose

Survivor
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
for me it comes down to what shift im on at work

when im on days i tend to have an hour-ish in the evening

when im on nights i also tend to have an hour-ish in the evening before going to work

when im on lates, and therefore have mornings free i tend to have no enthusiasm so dont bother

weekends i try and slip away to the bench as/when i can

unwritten rule in this house......as soon as x factor or britains got talent comes on the telly im gone and i dont come back til the playout music comes on :D

D

Doug Hughes

I too only finish about 4 builds a year. On average, I guess that's about 5 hours a week. I could find more time, but I'm interested in a lot of other things too. I'm expecting an increase in production later next year when I retire.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I work away from home. I can't usually do any model making unless I'm at home. A busy year, as I've just had, means minimal time and output. Now I'm home I try to get a couple of hours a day in, sometimes more.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
In a week, not that much time. However, yearly, this year, I'm in for finishing 5 which is my all time best record, I think ?

First Name
Adrian
I quit my job earlier in the year so had plenty of time to crack on modelling, with my new job I'm normally done by 2pm so after a bite to eat its onto the bench for 7-8 hours.

All of which means I have managed to finish 18 builds so far this year with number 19 due by the end of the week :smiling3:

Adrian

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I manage a couple of hours per day at best but it still takes me ages to build anything so again 4 to 5 per year in a good year and probablly only 1 or 2 in a normal year this year for instance I finished Lewis Hamiltons partwork McClaren and 3/4 finished a launch umblical tower for 1/96 Saturn V

Colin

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Though I am retired it seems I can never find enough time to do as much modeling as I would like. I may manage a few hours a week. A lot depends on mood, my back {degenerative disc disease}

and a whole host of other distractions and necessary chores. Now that winter is almost here apart from keeping the fires going I usually have more time to model...............Jim:smiling3:

M

Mark P

I try to get a couple of hours in per evening but if im not in the right frame of mind a model can sit there for days without anything being done to it. The one im on now I recon it will take about 6 months as I want it to be perfect which is a big ask for me :D