Modifying a 1/16 Dragon British Airborne Figure

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Certainly looking spot on at this stage.
Jim

A

Armorguy

Richard, you're a very good sculptor my friend, everything looks very well detailed and sculpted sharp and clean. It will be fun to start painting this beautiful paratrooper. The helmet with the camonet looks spot on. Keep going sir !

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guy, Peter and Steve B,

I had practise on smaller scale like 1/72 which are more forgiving as detail is done in a broad style. When larger, stuff like stitching needs sculpting. I hope this stands up against the resin fiures that would be at the Penang show competition. There may be guys from Thailand, Taiwan, Hong Kong and perhaps Korea not forgetting Singapore. Allen Yong and Young B Song will be judging the figures.

Haven't decided to add the spike bayonet to the Sten...haven't seen anyone do it.

Cheers,
Richard

bowman

Steve Bellerby
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Richard, this is a huge improvement over the original and I'm really looking forward to seeing him painted.

Cheers
Steve

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Quality work for sure. Looking forward to the paint.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys,

Steve B, thanks. The original details were a bit soft. Painting soon this weekend.
Jimbo, thank you too...it's either the Peleliu figures or this for this weekend. Tossing a coin to decide.
Alex, :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: I meant as a model. I remember Captain Pridday having a fixed bayonet at Horsa bridge on D-Day.
Guy, yup...decided to put it...pictures coming up.

P17.jpg

I have added the buckles and toggle rope...lucky for me I had the right thick cord for it. Below you will notice I covered the existing face veil with gauze as the detail was so soft and nearly negligible. A bit of clean up needed under the straps. I purposely let the left shoulder flap unbuttoned and draped down to reveal the double stitching on the shoulder of the smock.

P18.jpg P19.jpg

The bayonet frock was drilled out and then stuck onto the belt webbing as above. Below the bayonet fixed onto the Sten barrel made from wittled plastic rod. The one peace sight was hollowed and gun barrel drilled.

P20.jpg

Now it's only the scrim and hessian for the helmet then I'm ready for priming.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Fantastic work Richard. I too like the attached bayonet.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys,

Guy, the bayonet turned out pretty ok.
Jon, glad you like it.
Peter, it was touch and go for the bayonet keeping the putty from clogging the barrel opening.

Mean while I have primed the figure. So far no seam or joint lines between the putty and plastic surface so modifications are hard to see.

P21.jpg P22.jpgP23.jpg P24.jpgP25.jpg P26.jpg

I am happy to have managed to capture the weight of the smock and packs.

P27.jpg P28.jpg

Only an area of the seam behind the left boot was over sanded and needs rounding off. Other than that only needs a light highlight from the top.

Cheers,
Richard

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Now that he's all primed up I can see what an excellent job you've done.Good to see that you've removed the chevrons from his left sleeve too. Every bit as good as a quality resin figure.
Jon.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Looking excellent with its coat of primer. No remedial work revealed :thumb2:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Beautifully done Richard - looks like a very expensive kit indeed.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Richard, the modifications truly look great.:thumb2:
Looking forward to see him in his colours.:hungry:

Fernando