Mongol warlord bust

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

with the Huey safely in a box on a high shelf it is time to go beck to the world of busts. Here is the one i will be painting next; a Mongol Warlord, which will be released under my Sarnia Miniatures brand now our COVID-19 lockdown is starting to be eased. Talking of which - Guernsey has gone just over 2 weeks without any new infections!.

25B335EA-A0BC-4A56-BBCF-51E2F5DB5781.jpegAF6596D0-207B-4C3D-B818-02E467856BE0.jpeg
the bust shoud be fun to paint (it was a challenge to sculpt!) with a mixture of cloth, leather, and metal.

peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Its great to get back to 1/10 scale after my temporarily aborted venture in 1/35th scale. Here is thd result of tonight's efforts:

The face and a start on the cloth of the torso.

E959FF47-F643-4053-AE0C-ED231DFC2974.jpeg
peter

i should really take photos with a camera rather than the ipad!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do like him,Peter nice start as well, :smiling4:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
Nice to hear that Guernseys virus is fairing better now,Dont think our visit to Jersey end of July will materialise.Good to see you back with the busts again.
Stay safe.
Richard.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice start on the base Peter. Look forward to seeing how this one ends up.

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Hi Peter, he looks an impressive fellow, looking forward to seeing him completed.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Monica, Neil, Steve and Nick - thanks for the supportive comments.

Richard - thanks for the support. The way things are going you may be able to visit Jersey but not Guernsey - they are opening up their economy faster than here in Guernsey. Even though Guernsey has had no new cases of COVID for 21 days, (and only 2 active cases currently) the authorities are keeping in place one key regulation: this is that all people who come to Guernsey have to self-isolate for 2 weeks. I think this has been a key factor in getting the virus under control but it does make holidaying in Guernsey far from attractive!

Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Sorry Peter, I thought I'd commented on this. It's a great looking bust with some lovely detail; well done.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Its been a productive day, here is another of the head, with slight refinement of tones:

Head 1.jpg

and of the torso. the leather was painted using Vallejo acrylics as normal but with a couple of washes of oil paint to give it a slight sheen

torso 1.jpg

next; finish the helmet

Peter

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
like this one very well done ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Beautifully done - oh to have your skills :rolling:
Jim

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys
thanks for the kind comments.
it was nice to get this one finished, it had been hanging around for a while.

the bust was painted using valley acrylics, with some artists' oil paint used for some washes over the areas of leather armour.

Peter

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see this one finished Peter. Looking forward to seeing another sculpt soon. How did the Elections go??

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Steve

glad you like it. I am trying to get around to sculpting the VCs from the Charge of the Light Brigade but have been sidetracked by some more current Mess Dress busts, some male and some female officers.

ah, the election. i hope you are sitting comfortably, you may regret asking. The actual election went fine, 38 people were elected, in general I am pretty happy, there are only about 6 I would prefer not to have been elected. They and take office tomorrow And their first action will be on Friday; to elect the President of the Policy & Resource Committee, equivalent to your Treasury department.

we have an unusual form of government, a consensus rather than executive form. Most policy is determined by the relevant committee; Education, Social Services, Health, Environment, Economic development and Home, only refering to our parliament for the annual budget and major policy changes. For instance our parliament will determine the structure of secondary education, 11+or not, and through the capital allication process the number of secondary schools, but the education committee will determine curriculum and implement the main policy, creating any underlying policies as needed. The committees will also priorities their new policy development and implementation - like everywhere there is not enough money to do everything.

Each Committee has 5 members who all have an equal vote. The President of each committee has no authority Over the other committee members, nor to unilaterally bind the Committee or make decisions, all authority rests in the committee - theother 4 can outvote the President. Policy & Resources is classed as the 'senior' committee because if is responsible for creating and monitoring budgets and co-ordinating policy but does not have any actual control over other committees. The President of Policy & Resources is seen as the 'Cheif Minister' or most senior politician,but has no actual power, other than what his other 4 committee members allow him.

So, on Friday the President of Policy & Rescources will be elected; on Monday the 4 members of P&R will be elected,on Wednesdaythe Presidents of the Committees will be elected, and of Thursday The members of the committees will be elected. Only then will we have a clear view of what the government will actually be like.

it soundss really complex and messy, but with the right people it should mean that the government steers a middle course and not veer off too far to the left or right.

Phew! Well, you did ask!!!

peter

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That sounds a remarkably sensible system Peter.
Pete