Monogram 1/48 B58 Hustler

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Looking great Tony great work on the metallics. I saw one of these at the Wombourne model show today £36 I was soooo tempted as I love monogram kits also. I had a good look inside the box it's enormous. I still haven't written off getting it but for now will have to admire yours well done mate keep up the great work cheers John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its been a long time coming but heres an update (BTW have I missed the deadline? it said march to june but which year!!? :rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:smiling3: After putting the silver on and spraying various panels ,control surfaces etc different shades I wasnt very happy with how it looked. The constant handling of such a large model and the necessity of not being able to spray the whole thing at once ,plus the dust catching effect of the huge wing area meant the finish suffered . The upshot of this is that I sanded and resprayed the wings , and although still not brilliant its at least a bit better (and its got to that stage where its not getting any more!) So after a few weeks to harden i finally got the decals on and a few panels done in matt black . I'm now starting on the undercarriage which is painted and ready but just needs assembling - each leg is made up of lots of separate pieces! Heres a couple of pics , cheers tony

DSCN1804 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1805 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

D

dubster72

Turned out very nice in the end Tony - worth all your effort (and probably some cursing!) ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers chaps , you can't really see it in the pics but the finish is a bit ropey, im still finding it a bit tricky getting a satisfactory nat metal effect , but its all experience eh?! Im not doing myself any favours though as the stash has lots of nat metal aircraft in it!! Next one will be a bit smaller though so i might be ok, cheers tony

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks great Tony. I had forgotten about this build. Your NMF looks NMF to moi :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Made a start on assembling the undercarriage , starting with the nosewheel leg , Its quite a fragile looking affair and given the size of the model its no wonder a lot of people get the white metal aftermarket undercarriage for extra strength. I think I'll just prop up the front after its finished and photographed just so its not resting all its weight on this vulnerable part . There are 3 distinctice landing lights on the B58 nosewheel and these werent very well represented by the kit - just a plastic lamp , not even a clear lens. So it was into my box of sequins, rhinestones , nail art jewels and confetti !!

One nail jewel did the small lamp and a couple of sequins and nail art caviar balls for the bulbs did the two larger ones. heres some pics

DSCN1820 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1821 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1822 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1823 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1824 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Just had to catch up a bit on this Tony but wow wow wow that nose gear looks top bananas really does give off the sense of clean metal.

Love the bug bird too really nicely done so far ( can't see any ropey work there at all.

NMF I think is a working progress and I'm still working it all out

Great progress though

Looking forward to more

Regards

Robert

D

dubster72

Unconventional materials to the rescue again! :smiling3: obviously there's a side benefit to being called Toni at weekends :P

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking very nice Tony,well done on them, ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more done to the undercarriage today. The UC doors have been put in and the nose wheel leg has had a couple more pieces added. The main gear legs are made up from several pieces and these are next to be done. Ive given the nose leg and the main legs and wheels a wash to highlight the details , cheers tony

DSCN1830 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1831 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1833 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1834 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1835 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1836 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1837 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1838 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1839 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1841 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1842 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

F

Fenlander

The detail is really popping out in this Tony. Great work going into areas that will hardly be seen.