Monogram Packard Boattail Speedster - 1/24 scale

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
How do you get the cake past the mask?:tongue-out3: My dates are make eyes with the walnut...cream all over the place.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks for all your comments. Many brought a smile to my face. Progress has been slow due to having to bake more cake!!
The plugs are hex shapes punched from thin card with a short length of rod on top.
Main engine block primed with Stynylrez grey and other parts with Vallejo black gloss.
P1060354.JPG

P1060355.JPG

I then decided to work on the front cross piece and axles. I don't understand why but this part has many problems. The moulding looks to have slipped or been misaligned :sad:
P1060356.JPG

P1060358.JPG

Much sanding and scraping needed but had to be careful not to destroy the shape as so much work was needed.
P1060357.JPG

The other problem was the part had lots of areas where the plastic seemed to have shrunk. Don't know why - maybe someone can explain how or why these sunken marks occur.
P1060360.JPG

P1060361.JPG

P1060362.JPG

P1060363.JPG

P1060364.JPG

Anyway I filled the holes and replaced some bolt heads and used some PE from the spares.
P1060365.JPG

P1060366.JPG

P1060367.JPG

Looks a bit rough in the photos but it is mostly hidden and should be ok under paint.

If anyone can explain either the misalignment issue and/or those sunken areas I would be most interested.

Right I'm off as there's only a stale bun and some crumbs left in the cake tin so a baking session is needed as the gannets are gathering.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The misalignment is probably due to some parts of the mould tool being hotter than others, so the mould has expanded unevenly. The sinkage is caused by the operator releasing the feed pressure on the plastic too soon, before the plastic in the mould has finished shrinking as it cools, or possibly by faulty mould design that doesn't allow that pressure to keep feeding plastic to that area as it cools and solidifies.
Pete

Edit: I've never worked in injection moulding but as a development engineer I've had to investigate faulty moulding.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A lot of problems occur, due to the old moulds - not only wear and tear - which probably account for the mismatch, but the old dies being used on newer injection moulding equipment, which may have different parameters in pressures, flows and injection points. Add to that operator error, and you have all sorts of problems. it can be said 'they still have the original moulds/dies', but modifying old equipment to fit on new can be problematic.
My area was more gravity die/sand casting - aluminium & cast iron mainly - but even with those comparatively crude methods, you could run into all sorts of failures when trying to recommission old moulds!
Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Jim, if it's any consolation....I think you have recovered beautifully. That front axle will certainly do the job and you will have peace of mind that you gave it a good go. All else is coming along nicely........look forward to your next update.
Rick H.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Those bits are looking decidedly ropey Jim - well rescued

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Peter and David - thanks for your explanations. I understand better now :thumb2:
Rick and Simon - appreciate your kind comments.

I have been working on the chassis. Two long side members with cross pieces and springs. The fit was quite good although the springs took a lot of cleaning up and the two side members are slightly warped but should pull into shape.
P1060368.JPG

All clamped together. The front axle piece is only glued on one side because the long chassis members will need to be opened up to allow the engine to fit in.
P1060369.JPG

Primed with stynylrez black and then Tamiya semi-gloss black.
P1060371.JPG

You can see where the right side in the picture is not glued.
P1060372.JPG

I have started painting up the engine block.
P1060370.JPG

Thanks for looking in :tongue-out3:
Jim

First Name
Wouter
Something different for a change ey. I'm in Jim. Looking at it, some parts are really awful, brave man you persevere. Chassis and engine are looking good!

Cheers

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I agree with Wouter, looking good there Jim.
Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great recovery Jim, she's looking fine now.
Thanks for the info on the plugs.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Wouter, Rick and John - thanks guys. I appreciate the boost your comments give me :thumb2:
Too hot today to do much at the bench but tomorrow looks much more conducive to mogglin.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You are certainly beating this one into submission Jim. A lot of hard work with some terrific results. Luv what you have done with the chassis and engine. Great to see.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Nearly a month since I've done anything on this. To be honest I have hardly spent any time at the bench. Usual excuses - hot weather, lots of summer jobs courtesy of the missus, lock down eased and so able to visit the granddaughter and to be honest a lack of mojo. Anyway chassis complete, engine complete and put together. The fit is not good and it needed a lot of care to ensure everything is square and lines up.
P1060373.JPG

P1060374.JPG

P1060375.JPG

P1060376.JPG

I had already taken the chrome finish off the chromed sprue so cleaned up the wheels and sprayed Vallejo gloss black primer. A couple of the spokes were broken so needed repairing. Hopefully get them chrome painted and put together and dry fitted soon and then I'll see whether I did get the chassis nice and square.

Take care
Jim

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
The colours on the engine look really nice Jim. You must be pleased this part of the build has come to an end. Like it a lot

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
"Slowly, slowly catchee monkey" - definitely most apt for this build. Slow even by my standards :thinking:
Wheels painted and built up. Flat sanded for the ground/tyres contact area.
P1060381.JPG

Monogram would have the wheels 'click' fit onto the ends of the axles to allow them to rotate. Far too tight to get on and then wobbly.
P1060377.JPG

So knob cut off and wheels will be glued in place.
P1060378.JPG

The silencer was terrible as was the end of the tailpipe. So a new exhaust was scratched.
P1060379.JPG

P1060380.JPG

Dry fitted the cabin into the body. Bad gap on both sides. It will come together with clamping but the body is then distorted. So I'll have to fill the gaps. Not that difficult but just takes time.
P1060382.JPG

P1060383.JPG

P1060384.JPG

This kit is really showing it's age and yet is strangely satisfying. It could yet become a shelf queen though :rolling:

Stay safe everyone :thumb2:

Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Si - thanks :thumb2:
A bit more done in between other jobs.
There is a sump guard thingy to fit. It doesn't :angry: There is a YouTube video build of this kit and the guy there couldn't fit it so missed it off. I hacked it about and made a couple of wedges and got it to fit - sort of. I doubt very much if it will show anyway.
P1060386.JPG

The wedge bit - rough but it does the job.
P1060387.JPG

Two parts of the exhaust painted and fitted. Just the tail pipe to go on later.
P1060388.JPG

The sides of the cab were bulked out with styrene strips and the gap is no more :thumb2:
P1060389.JPG

P1060392.JPG

You can see in the cab photo that where the door opens is a raised line - why raised I don't know. I scribed in a line - needs cleaning up.
P1060390.JPG

The upper body was quite scratched. Its been rattling about in the box for over 40 years so hardly surprising. I gave it a polish with Tamiya Polishing Paste and I hope I can get a reasonable gloss finish.
P1060393.JPG

Stay safe
Jim

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Quite the challenge Jim! You are certainly beating this one into submission. Great to see how you are overcoming the obstacles.

D

Deleted member 6559

Coming along very nicely Jim. As always, so clean and tidy.