Monty's caravan vintage matchbox kit at 1-76

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Hi All,
This is my attempt at a vintage Matchbox kit. Unfortunately I had already started it before the group build was announced. Finding this a challenge from the start. It seems the plastic has gone brittle with age (know how it feels). I am trying to get better at painting but struggle with even coverage and shaky hands. (don't own an airbrush yet). I have enjoyed making some extra pieces up to now but acknowledge they are not the best quality. Anyhow work in progress and any comments most welcome. Any suggestions on adding a dusty finish to dampen the shine of what is supposed to be a matt coat appreciated
.Montys 2.jpgMontys 3.jpgMontys 4.jpgMontys 1.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nick I love the shape of the base for a start, very novel approach and it really sets it off. Good colour choice for the stone slabs and sets. Nothing to worry about at all .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

If you are concerned about brush painting Rons (Spanner ) S.B.S on brush painting on here a week or so is very helpful.

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Hi John and many thanks - I have been watching Rons brush painting thread and have found it most informative. hopefully I will get better. I can not take credit for the base shape as that is how it came out of the box however thanks for your kind comments regarding my painting of said base.
Nick T.

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A nice little build Nick. Pigments or pastel dust brushed on will dampen the glare. Look forward to seeing the next update.

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Thanks Steve I like the sound of Pigments or pastel dust and will order some as my kit is very limited being a newbie. The latest pictures of the kit after a number of colour changes. Hope you like them and as always comments welcome.
Montys caravan.jpg
Montys caravan 2.jpg
Montys caravan roof off.jpg
Ariel view roof off.jpg
Internal lights on.jpg
Side view 2.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
When you get more into the dark arts of weathering your models you will find a nice pin wash will make all those details stand out. A wonderful tidy little build and nicely painted with the hairy stick. You must be very pleased.

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Hi Steve, thanks for your kind comments, I am quite pleased with how its turned out so far and especially enjoyed making all the little extras in the caravan itself. I don't know much about pin washes or weathering but am looking forward to learning. Thanks again, Nick T.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent little build Nick.

To dull it down, give a thought to brushing on some well watered down Lt. grey acrylics. Use a flat headed brush and starting at the top, run your brush horizontally along the model.
Then repeat just below the first application, this allows the first to run into the second and so on, thus no paint lines will be apparent. Rather like an old typewriter, one end to the other. Leave the paint alone, let it run and gather where it chooses.

Be brave with the application - Work quickly and slosh it on. Don't go over it again, leave well alone!

If you fancy a bash, try it out on something plastic first, so you get the method and consistency summat like right. Sometimes simple is best, and easier!

Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Great little build.......glad you left the roof removable, it would be a shame to cover up all that excellent interior work. I did the same thing on my 1/87 scale chow wagon and potato peeler trailer. Again, nice work and have fun.:smiling3: Rick H.

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Hi Ron, I will have a go at that to see the effect on an old kit many thanks for the advise, for now I've painted the rope fastenings and windows etc. on the caravan and straightened Monty up as he seemed to have a distinct lean backwards.

Hi Rick, thanks for your comments, I watched your build of the chow wagon - brilliant - that's why I left the roof loose.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
All the extra detail painting has certainly brought this one alive. Great work with the hairy stick

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Thanks Steve, glad you like it. I am going to try a 1/35 next. Tamiya ww2 British SAS Jeep and have got a PE kit to go with it. All new to me but I am sure lots of you have done this kit before so am hoping for some pointers along the way. First time using PE too - should be interesting !