Mookie's Miniatures Pandour Officer Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Regulars will have seen Richard Pearce's build thread for his Pandour officer. The bust is now finished and cast, and I am lucky enough to have a copy to paint for the box art.

The Pandours originated as a sort of border security militia in Croatia and were later used and eventually incorporated into the army of the Habsburgs. Their role varied over time, but they were mainly used to stop the incursion of Ottoman bands across the eastern borders of the empire. Their dress developed from traditional local costume, eventually incorporating elements similar to that of hussars.

Richard's has given us a one-piece casting:

He is based on the figure on the left in the above illustration, and as you can see has a lot of character. I'm going to paint him as near and I can to the reference; red jacket with white braid, green waistcoat with, yellow braid etc. I'm not sure how to do the hat as I think the white braid will be beyond me - perhaps a simpler version, though plain black hats were known:

I've more or less finished the face:

I think he looks quite piratical. I've painted his hair dark brown instead of black so as to contrast with the black of the hat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Fantastic start my friend.The face is outstanding.My wife said he looks a rum dude!!.They had a reputation for plundering and self indulgence when skirmishing.As some were mountain folk they took every oppurtunity i guess for swag and ill gotten gains.Hoping to release him very soon.
Great start Peter.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Richard. He does look as though he could be a bit naughty - the odd bit of raiding and cattle-rustling on the side.

He's now finished:

This was really good fun to do. It was great to be able to let rip with the primary colours.

I've tried to follow the reference fairly closely, but you'll noticed that I decided that the intricate braid on the hat was beyond my skills. I therefore simplified it to a white stripe, then painted the background blue to give it a lift.

The trickiest colour was the yellow. I first put down a couple of layers of Japanese Uniform (a sort of yellow ochre) then applied layer after layer of Vallejo Flat Yellow over the top to build up the tones.

A great bust from Richard. Well done that man.

D

Deleted member 4539

Bloody heck that was quick Peter.
Lovely painting as usual :smiling3:.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Done in the twinkling of an eye and beautifully done at that. Richard and you make a good team.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Ralph and Jim.

Wasn't much of a thread I'm afraid - it went much quicker than I was expecting. On a bit of a roll after being away for a few days. Paint and itchy fingers......

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
We are so greatful to Peter for another wonderful paint job on our latest project.Totally out of my comfort zone subject wise and im greatful to my frind Brett in Australia for his sculpting on this.I refined it and Mookies Miniatures and Peter at Sarnia Miniatures are lucky to have a great artist like Peter who waves his magic brush everytime.
Excellent Mr.D.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Very kind words Richard. I just feel so flattered and honoured to be asked to work for Mookies and Sarnia.

I don't think I've shown this one Richard did for your his wife's friend - Timothy Claypole from 'Rentaghost':

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Great job of a very unusual subject. Really like it.

Peter

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Blink and you miss it. Are you making up for lost time after your mini break from the bench? :smiling3:

Wonderful colours Peter. Glad you had fun with this one