More advice please , tamiya 1/32 spitfire mk IX C

R

Richy C

Hi guys , received today and looks a fine kit , I`m looking at various after market bits but getting confused , my question is would the IX C be a late or early version I`m asking as eduard do a few after market bits but only list the parts as IX early or late , to start with I`m looking to change a few bits ie the harness , canopy masks , metal guns and resin tyres , having read a few reviews would the real aircraft have treaded or slick tyres .

one last question , when building the kit does the tail end need some weights

Any advice would be great
Cheers
Confused Richy

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It can indeed be confusing.
I believe the treaded tyres were mainly used in the Far East and in muddy weather conditions. Aussie and NZ air forces used them. For a RAF machine, based in Europe, I would suggest the slick tyres.
As far as harnesses are concerned I used the 'late' type for the Mk XVI of course, but I am less certain about the Mk IX.
I would do a spot of on-line research in respect of the specific aircraft you want to model as it may give you clues. You might find pictures that reveal the answers or get dates to cross reference.

There is no need at all to weight the tail.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You really need to decide which aircraft you intend to model and then set about establishing what it looked like. You will find plenty of discussion of the more popular subjects.
There were several versions of the Mk IX and then various differences between aircraft even of the same version.

Any wartime Spitfire would have been equipped with a Sutton harness, the type with the holes that were put over a locking cone and locked with a distinctive looking 'pin' which served as a quick release. The different versions were all similar at the pilots side, but varied in how they attached to the aircraft.
The 'QS' version looks far more modern and was fitted with a parachute type quick release box. You won't need this version in a war time Mk IX.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
R

Richy C

Thanks gents , just ordered canopy masks and eduards early RAF seatbelts , and will stick with the slick tyres .

I`ve just watched on catch up Guy Martins Spitfire , what a great programme the amount of work to rebuild a mk I spitfire is amazing.

Cheers
Richy