More Figures for Richard

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

I've once again been the recipient of a box of figures and parts, sent to me by my good friend Richard Pearce. I decided to start a new thread and this time will feature each figure in turn as I build it - no promises about vignettes etc, though some may emerge from the results.

The first one is a 120mm German machine gunner by Wee Friends. This is the box art:

wee-friends-120mm-wwii-german-mg34_360_f8a263865a316758ae061ddcad4a88d7.jpg

Wee Friends (Friendship Models) have not done many figures in this scale, but I have made a few of their excellent 1/135 offerings. I've had my eye on this one for a time, so I was delighted to find it in the box. I've part constructed it and cleaned up the parts, ready for painting:

100_2457.JPG

Quite an involved build, though the parts were cleanly moulded and required only a minimum amount of sanding and filling. As you can see, a few bits and pieces needed to be added prior to painting, such as the grenades and spade which were a bit awkward to fit. I also broke the kit helmet, so swapped it for a Tamiya one.

So, onwards and upwards and yet more heart-felt thanks to Richard for thinking of me.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Im glad your latest box of delights turned up safe and well mate.The Mg34 chappie could be good for Ardennes maybe mate.Hope you enjoy creating more figures from the bits n bobs.
Enjoy my friend.
Richard.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Starting with camo, ambitious choice, and a good one to stretch the muscles with.

Any pattern or following the box art?

Looks like another fun thread is about to launch.

Have a good day with the paint and watch out for the water shortage

Its going to be another hot week in paradise.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Thanks so much for this. I was planning an Ardennes dio, so we'll see if I can stack up a few likely lads.

Steve - Good morning. May not do camo on this one - It's possible to paint it as M43 field grey - just want to get it done and have fun (paint confidence a bit low after a string of failures). I have other figures that may suit an Ardennes dio that will be in camo. The whole thing will be a bit peacemeal as there's also a terrific Kirin WW1 stormtrooper in the stash that I can't wait to get to. Hot in the sun here, but a cooling North Sea breeze makes it tolerable. We always have a hosepipe ban here - driest part of the country.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Will there be lots of white and snow flaky stuff??

D

Deleted member 6559

The paint is down to his waist:

100_2459.JPG100_2460.JPG

Quite a tricky head as the eyes were so small, but the first kit head I've pulled off for a long while. Mojo topped up, I decided to get on with the rest of the figure until the heat got to me (and my paints). Quite a fiddly process with so much equipment in place, but that's the hardest part done.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Another great start Peter, great expression on that face.
Mick

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Mick. I've been putting together some more figures with a view to an Ardennes dio. I've got seven so far, though inevitably they won't all work out.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice start to him.Peter ,real like what I,m seeing
will look very forward to seeing more,:smiling:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

The eyes do look really small, when you consider the size of the head!

Great work and good to hear you have got over the "dry" patch, headwise :smiling:

Hopefully another good day painting, the ribbed crew neck jumper does stand out too.

Dry brushed to pick up the detail?

This week will be another Heat challenge, it just not British!

And so much sport, world cup, Wimbledon, and to come soon the Tour de France and then the British Grand Prix.

Could be another record breaking month for all the wrong reasons.

Have a good day painting

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Monica - Hi. A nice figure to work on.

Steve - Such a relief to finally get a head done. Wimbledon - aargh! My wife is obsessed and keeps explaining the state of play even though I don't understand and am not interested (''Oh, Andy!''). The sea breeze has dropped off here in Kent, so now we're getting the temperatures the rest of the country has been enjoying. Don't worry though, it won't last - it will start raining in two week's time when we go on holiday - always does.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The Wee friends chap looks splendid under a coat of paint.Hes come up a treat my friend.Really eyecatching.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Richard. It's nice having a different take on a figure.

D

Deleted member 6559

That's enough for today:

100_2463.JPG100_2464.JPG100_2466.JPG

This morning I painted the rest of the figure and painted and added the holster and the MG tool case. I also gave the uniform a couple of coats of matt varnish and mounted him on a temporary base. Just the rest of the gear to do now.

PS Steve - for the sweater I dragged a loaded brush gently over the surface to pick up the ribs, then re-painted the lines in between.

D

Deleted member 6559

I've finally come up with a plan for a couple of vignettes/dios. They will be made up of some of Richard's figures, some new stuff and some old figures from the cabinet.

The first will be set in Stalingrad and will incorporate these:

100_2464.JPG100_2474.JPG100_2467.JPG100_2472.JPG

This will involve finishing the first figure and building and painting the third, made up from spares. I may not include the officer in the fur coat.

The second will be an Ardennes dio:

100_2468.JPG100_2473.JPG100_2470.JPG20180530_152456_resized.jpg100_2471.JPG

The first two are made up from parts sent by Richard (you'll notice he's done quite a lot of work on the figure in the parka), the second are new. I won't depict Diefenthal (Malmedy massacre etc) but slightly convert him into an anonymous officer. The last three are from the cabinet.

So quite a lot of work (six figures to build) - I've just put in a Vallejo order with my supplier!

PS Forgot that I had this CGS figure on order, a Panze Lehr, giving the possibility of splitting the Ardennes figures into two vignettes, one with more action than the other:

4631303975.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

The Stalingrad base:

100_2476.JPG

This is an old one which I've refurbished. The cobbled road was made from incised Miliput, and the pavement is a piece of MDF with card paving stones glued on top. The timber is ordinary balsa, and the rusty metal is pieces of farm machinery found while field-walking (probably tractor parts). The rubble is a smashed up stoneware plate. The whole was panted by dry-brushing, and various types of brick and garden dust were sprinkled over the top and fixed with artist's fixative. It's about half the size of my previous base, but should take four figures.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking at your paint work,Peter,dose make me won,t to be so much better at,figure work,:confused:

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Monica, though looking at my paintwork makes me wish I was better too!

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
its good and I,do real like your style :smiling: