More Frostgrave 28mm North Star figures

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all
Bit of a palate cleanser after the big Viking….

801494E3-804B-406F-B3B8-D369AADA1732.jpeg
BDDEBC2B-EB21-4D0D-9B9C-4290940F3828.jpeg
Blue Demon……not much more to say really…..

7434EC0E-E631-4C21-ADFE-1A2346BAF49A.jpeg
63627D9B-2216-4922-9D00-E40BA517CA2E.jpeg
Little red imp…..

793A11BA-287D-4379-8F95-11516B2B558E.jpeg
0C5D020D-3EC2-49E9-9764-48B74E6002D1.jpeg
Eric Pencil head….what is called a “medium construct” in game terms. Basically made by a magic user to act as a servant, and now wandering the wasteland…..

A4167D1F-2024-490B-B31B-CDB5E1B9E6D3.jpeg
95E2FBF6-1D7E-493C-844C-42B8A20C339C.jpeg
My favourite…the small construct…like Pencil head he was made from scraps and animated by a Mage……a bit like a large soft toy gone rogue……

….and…the calibration shot….
84623DD6-19DE-4527-B39F-6CD47381B0B8.jpeg

As always, any questions please ask…..hope they pass muster….

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tim
Certainly not a genre I have come across but you really are a master at bringing these tiny figures to life. Even blown up on my big computer screen the quality remains.
Jim
Are they plastic, resin or white metal?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim
Certainly not a genre I have come across but you really are a master at bringing these tiny figures to life. Even blown up on my big computer screen the quality remains.
Jim
Are they plastic, resin or white metal?
Hi Jim. Glad you like them and thanks for the kind comment.
These are white metal. Others I’ve posted before have been injection moulded plastic, put together like any plastic kit…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work Tim! I like the wooden look of the pencil-head-guy, well done :thumb2:
Steven
Thanks Steven. The wooden look is achieved by painting him a base dark brown, washing in umber to generate shades, then overlaying several lighter shades of brown in thin lines to get the bark like effect.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
First class work tim , figure painting , fact or fantasy is a black art to me , im always in awe of stuff like this , great work , cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
First class work tim , figure painting , fact or fantasy is a black art to me , im always in awe of stuff like this , great work , cheers tony
Many thanks Tony. Nothing to be in awe of though. This stuff is smoke and mirrors to the real figure painters out there…..the only difference between fantasy and historical, by the way, is that with fantasy you get to have a bit of fun with the colours :tongue-out3:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Very nice work on them figures as when i was lookin through jen said whats that as i was on your first fig of pencil head an i looked at it an said its looks like Tim has made a fig from a pencil so i did a good guess but great figures
chris jen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice work on them figures as when i was lookin through jen said whats that as i was on your first fig of pencil head an i looked at it an said its looks like Tim has made a fig from a pencil so i did a good guess but great figures
chris jen
Thanks Chris….first thing I thought when I saw him as well…..

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all
Bit of a palate cleanser after the big Viking….

View attachment 434849
View attachment 434850
Blue Demon……not much more to say really…..

View attachment 434851
View attachment 434852
Little red imp…..

View attachment 434853
View attachment 434854
Eric Pencil head….what is called a “medium construct” in game terms. Basically made by a magic user to act as a servant, and now wandering the wasteland…..

View attachment 434855
View attachment 434856
My favourite…the small construct…like Pencil head he was made from scraps and animated by a Mage……a bit like a large soft toy gone rogue……

….and…the calibration shot….
View attachment 434857

As always, any questions please ask…..hope they pass muster….
Looking very good Tim.

The first time i came across the concept of things like medium constructs (he used a different phrase but can't remember what it was) was in a steampunk/fantasy book by a China Mieville..... IIRC it was largely set in a setting similar to the US in the days of the 'cowboy' and expansion of the railways across the country. As someone who was more used to the the 'pure' fantasies set in 'mediaeval' situations, from the likes of Tolkien, David Eddings and Raymond E Feist, it took me a while to get used to the more up-to-date setting but I really enjoyed it in the end.

Keep up the great work.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I just think of them as clay Golems made of different materials Andrew. The Frostgrave setting is what’s called “Low Fantasy” as I understand it. Sort of Dark ages with knobs on…..
I’ll have to look for the author. Never heard of them to be honest, but I might enjoy the read.
Glad you like them anyway….

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I just think of them as clay Golems made of different materials Andrew. The Frostgrave setting is what’s called “Low Fantasy” as I understand it. Sort of Dark ages with knobs on…..
I’ll have to look for the author. Never heard of them to be honest, but I might enjoy the read.
Glad you like them anyway….
Neither had I..... Just happened to be in the bookshelf at old workplace... So thought why not. Just checked, the book was called The Iron Council.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Neither had I..... Just happened to be in the bookshelf at old workplace... So thought why not. Just checked, the book was called The Iron Council.
Ah, right. Just looked it up. It’s the third book in a trilogy…….I read a lot, so might get the first one and see where it takes me….

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful small scale painting Tim. You wouldn't want to meet them down a dark alley ;) :cool: :thumb2: