More lacquer paint questions, sorry

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning, yet more ??

Will i have problems painting arcylic paint with a brush on top of lacquer? I plan to use vallejo

Or

Are there are issues using lacquer paint with a brush?

Thanks bob

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
First one “no”. I use VJ over a lacquer (cellulose?) primer exclusively on my small scale figures. It’s also fine under Humbrols and Oils.
second one, fast drying time and clean up of the brush may be an issue.....but I’ve not tried it.

D

Deleted member 7181

Brush painting with lacquers is best avoided if at all possible. I've done a few quick touch ups with it but anything else and you risk disturbing the underlying layer since the solvents in it are strong enough to reactivate most paints or primers and can smudge or even remove them. I'd stop using Vallejo completely if that wasn't the case, but there are times when brush painting is pretty much unavoidable.

But as Tim says, Vallejo over lacquers is no problem at all. I've taken to doing as much as I can with airbrushed lacquers then brush painting details with the acrylics.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Bob.
If in doubt i'd try underneath first, but reading what Tim and Andy have said they have more knowledge.:thumb2:

Personally dipping in 4BO Would solve all your problems.:smiling::nerd:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks all, only thinking of the tools etc

Great advice again apart from that dreaded Russian stuff :rolling:

• Haha
Reactions: JR