More Tamiya Therapy: Three 1/16 Figures

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Stay at home, stay warm, and recover. Modelling is the perfect aid to that, though how you manage that etch.....

I think I'll start on the head today. With the figure being so simple, it's all about the face, though this one looks a bit dodgy.

D

Deleted member 6559

Got the head done:

100_6701.JPG

Not quite as hard as I thought it was going to be, considering it was made up of three parts and a lot of filler. Tamiya helmets are excellent, with full interior detail, but for some reason they have left off the rivets and ventilators from the exterior. I added these with thick blobs of paint and used to kit decals for the insignia. I also decided to paint the collar and shoulder boards while my brush still had a point on it.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

There is quite a lot of filler, isn't there!

Glad you held off with the Knight Cross, Tamiya seem to award it to all its officers!

Certainly a "Get moving NOW" head for the officer.

Another clear day, but it comes with a frost and -1 C this morning.

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

I've gone for the earlier uniform, but as most of the awards are moulded on the torso I've had to keep them. I've left off the Iron Cross to give him time to earn it later in the war, if he survives.

Heavy rain and bad light all day yesterday, but today is bright and clear, good painting weather.

D

Deleted member 6559

Rick - Many thanks.

Ralph - Very glad you like him.

Rich - Vous etes tres gentil, mon brave. Merci beaucoup.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Remnants of Storm Ellen blowing through today!

Lovely work on the officer and the early war uniform.

Off to the USSR for the 3rd figure.

Have fun and hopefully a productive day on assembly of the Tamiya figure

The Wehrmacht officer did have some filler!

Looking forward to your Airfix 1/12 French Grenadier and you found spares in 1/12?

A new head and strap set! Historex, possibly?

Watching Apocalypse , The cold war on Sky planner, very interesting modern history of the World and US, Russian interaction from WWII to 1991.

Some parts of the world are destined to be in almost permanent conflict when you look at history, lest we forget and repeat it!

Enjoy the painting though it seems the weather/light might be difficult?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve.

Yes a lot of filler, but apart from some joins on the sleeves, most of the filled areas disappeared under the paint - always surprises me because it's not my forte. On to the Wussian next, which should be fun.

I've found a spare head for the Airfix grenadier, an academic bust by H&V. Just the right size, though it will need some chopping about and facial hair adding. As for the rest, there are no upgrade sets in 1/12, but I have found some buckles on a dolls-house supplier's website. The quality of the sculpting on the kit is very poor, so I have extremely low expectations.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Peter

Apologies for being behind. Forum time is very limited at the moment. I am very impressed by what you've done for the first two figures. Keep up the good work.

ATB

Andrew

D

Deleted member 6559

Andrew - Many thanks. I did even more work on the firts figure's greatcoat last night. It's getting there at last.

On to the Wussian, and here is the sprue shot:

100_6721.JPG

This is a very nicely detailed figure, the only negative being the four-part head, which has some nasty joins. Tamiya provide decals for a full set of insignia, though using them would mean sanding off the excellent detail on the figure. I intend to hand-paint them:

100_6723.JPG

As you can see, there are various eye decals provided - not sure if they'd look any good.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Peter
Love the weathering on the great coat. Again you show such fine skills :thumb2:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim - Many thanks. I hate weathering my figures, but sometimes there's nothing for it.

This one's been put together:

100_6724.JPG

The fit on this was pretty poor, not helped by some warping on the two leg sections. The major parts had very raised mould lines, so a lot of work was required to lick it into shape. As mentioned, the head comes in four sections, which again didn't fit well, so I'll have to see how it looks with a bit of paint on to see if it's acceptable. I also messed up the kit PPsH which had some very delicate parts, which also didn't fit well, but fortunately I had a Dragon version in the spares box.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Therapy? I am sure all the filling and warpage wasn't on your therapy wanted list!

Hopefully the head will survive paint today.

Looks like another grey day too.

Off to town at 9 am to beat the crowds, then hopefully some bench time.

Have a good day with the head, or will you start on the body first?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

I'm being philosophical about the filling - part of the game etc. I'm also feeling more forgiving towards intransigent plastic after a hike around the Devil's Kneeding Trough yesterday:
218e7c5c4b95cfc2ea4eecf0dd08e827.jpgthe-devils-kneading-trough-on-the-north-downs-in-late-summer-an-area-D47RAJ.jpg

Blew away the cobwebs and cleared my modelling mind. I will start with the head today.