More Train Members

C

CHRIS

Is there a way that more forum members that are interested in model railways could be generated? I think that alot of information could be passed about if only more people subscribed. Does any one have any views on this subject.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've been trying to promote the site in general, and especially on the train side, but although we get the hit's, 4000+ a month, it's hard to get people to register and post, in fact the registering isn't really a problem it's getting people to post once they have taken the time to register, out of the people that have joined here there are 144 that have never posted that's over 68% of members :sad:

I am open to any suggestions

C

CHRIS

Sorry I have not replied to the above sooner this is due to a bathroom referb, and pc in use when ever I wanted to get on it.

Of the 144 that have never posted, do you know if they visit the site regularly, or the first time was the only time? As there interest is noted at time they register, could an e-mail not be sent to them after a period from some ones last hit with a list of the latest threads related to that interest? I don't know anything about computers really so I don't know how hard this will be to set up.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Sorry I have not replied to the above sooner this is due to a bathroom referb, and pc in use when ever I wanted to get on it.Of the 144 that have never posted, do you know if they visit the site regularly, or the first time was the only time? As there interest is noted at time they register, could an e-mail not be sent to them after a period from some ones last hit with a list of the latest threads related to that interest? I don't know anything about computers really so I don't know how hard this will be to set up.
First of all how do you know that 144 members haven't posted? I didn't think I posted the URL for the stats :smiling3:

Your right there must have been some interest in the first place for people to register, I do email zero posters now and again, but it's more of a general email and not aimed at a specific group, and I don't like to do this too often as it could be considered spam :sad:

I could create another user profile with a drop down in it where you would have to choose a category to continue with registration, IE main interest, trains, planes, boats etc which I feel you have come up with a good idea, in fact I'm off to do it now :smiling3: then I could be more specific with emails.

I have no idea what makes someone take the time to register then not even post, but there is that old saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him post :shoot: OK maybe not quite that :shucks:

A

adzam

I've been trying to promote the site in general, and especially on the train side, but although we get the hit's, 4000+ a month, it's hard to get people to register and post, in fact the registering isn't really a problem it's getting people to post once they have taken the time to register, out of the people that have joined here there are *****144 that have never posted that's over 68% of members***** :sad: I am open to any suggestions
perhaps maybe either change your beer, or stop drinking all together mate ;) :wiggle:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
perhaps maybe either change your beer' date=' or stop drinking all together mate ;) :wiggle:[/quote']Oh yeah I forgot about that :death:

I can't always remember everthing I say

My names John and I'm a alcoholic, isn't that the first steps :pain:

btw it's gone up to 158 :smiling3:

Also I've made the changes mentioned :yes:

A

artic-corsair

I'm Just About To Start Building A Lay Out , So This Forum Will Be Of Great Help To Me , As You Already Now I Have Posted Here Many Times, And I Allways Have A Look On Here Everyday To See If There Are Any Items Of Interest, I'm Thinking Of Selling All Of My Boat Stuff To Fund My New Interest As I Know That The Trains Will Get Expensive As I'm Looking To Build A Large Lay Out ( 3 Meters X 3 Meters ) Square , Board With Will Be 1 Meter Wide With An Access Hole In The Middle, And A Branch Off For The Fiddle Yard With 10 Lines, I Hopeing To Run 5 Main Lines , A Gravel And Coal Quarry, A Small Harbour And A Small Private Airstrip, Should Keep Me Out Of Trouble For A While, I Will Try And Picture Record Along The Way.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Is there a way that more forum members that are interested in model railways could be generated? I think that alot of information could be passed about if only more people subscribed. Does any one have any views on this subject.
*** Well Chris this is the bums on seats syndrome we face so much in life,my own way to generate interest is to try and instill that enthusiasm for your subject by encouragement and love for your subject,post plenty of pictures of interesting layouts to drool over,experiment in the way that you bring over your chosen subject,believe me there is nothing better than inspiration and encouragement,even if we can only dream about our models that is good,think of how you feel when yopu have visited a show ? you feel inspired and want to get cracking on something,that is what is needeed,I am sure that there are literally hundreds out there that will benefit from your own knowledge,try a few tutorials and gradually build up a database here whereby it becomes a reference source for those searching the web,dont forget that every string or words that you write brings in results from these wonderful search engines,use that resource to bring enthusiasts together.

I know that you can do it because I can detect the will and determination even in those few sentances,go for it Chris and you will succedd,you have the finest tools in the world at your disposal and can reach a mass audience given the determination. :goodluck: