More trees to grow !

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Most impressive Dude 2,

You've got this down to a science for sure. Dr. Livingtree I presume???

I'll get me coat on...…………………………...………..
Thanks Buddy, :tongue-out3::smiling:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
What an interesting update. Looking at the finished ones it looks as if you've cracked it.
Must confess you seem to living high on the hog out there in the Fens - meat trays and kitchen roll. We're down to our last tin of Spam and the 4 sheets of kitchen paper we have left are saved for an emergency :tongue-out3:
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great stuff John, will you come and do my garden? ;)

Andy.
Hi Andy, cheers , if you can wait until the end of June we can talk more then about this :smiling3:.

Hi John
What an interesting update. Looking at the finished ones it looks as if you've cracked it.
Must confess you seem to living high on the hog out there in the Fens - meat trays and kitchen roll. We're down to our last tin of Spam and the 4 sheets of kitchen paper we have left are saved for an emergency :tongue-out3:
Jim

Thanks Jim, pleased that you mentioned about they could end all mixed up, other wise I might well have just put them all straight in a tub.
Living well until two weeks time , then no more slots so the fish in the pond had better look out.:crying:

John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful result with the green stuff JR. You really are the Percy Thrower of the modelling world. Great stuff mate

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
Delivery slots seem to be nonexistant. We have no fish so the dog is looking increasingly worried.
Jim
Jim, hard times, hard decisions, but not the dog . We have a pair of Magpies, and a whole gang of pigeons.:thumb2:

Wonderful result with the green stuff JR. You really are the Percy Thrower of the modelling world. Great stuff mate
That's very kind of you Steve, sorry I didn't ring today. Will do tomorrow.

John .

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John. Nice it’s so wet here I can’t till my garden I may take your advice and grow my veggies in the house

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John. Nice it’s so wet here I can’t till my garden I may take your advice and grow my veggies in the house
:smiling3: Thanks Lee, hope your able to work on it soon, you have such a great piece of land.

JR, Don't let Matron catch you rolling a joint out of that stuff you are so lovingly caring for...and by the way smoking that stuff won't cure COVID 19 either, so don't even think about it!:tongue-out3: Cheers, Rick H.

:smiling3::smiling3::smiling3: We are safe Rick, Matron is stuck in her house as her husband has a cold. !!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Afternoon all .
Yesterday the weights came off the now dry and fully pressed leaves.

IMG_20200331_160503731.jpg

Made a start this morning on the first one, using a small drill bit .

15857408324488538671016320103629.jpg
A series of holes were drilled into the trunk. Then followed the rather fiddly gluing with ca the stems in.

After approx 2 hrs I have managed this .
IMG_20200401_121418223.jpg

IMG_20200401_121541793_BURST001.jpg
15857411044554878216381089973877.jpg

My only concern is that the top, but thinning the trunk would leave so little material to drill into. Any ideas please :confused::nerd:
Thanks
John .

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just a thought John, but if you had tapered the stick from further down (like a ships mast) it might not have looked so obvious. But great work anyway.

Andy.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
:thumb2: The trees looks great John,
I like to put the top-branches up, perhaps you can mask the trunk a bit more when you ad some more up-growing small leaves?

Trees.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Buddy,

Andy has a great idea there! It's all trial and error anyway until you're happy with it. They look nice and green too!!!!

Why do I hear "Jingle Bells" playing in the back ground……...………………………….

Bleib Gesund
Dude 1

• Haha

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi John,
That's a great idea.
Suggestion, lay the 'trunk' down on the bench and then sand it to a taper by sanding and rotating the 'trunk' backwards and forwards over its full length. And if you point the top branch up you could disguise the top. Like this fellow.
Mike.
tree.jpeg
FOR DISCUSSION ONLY

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just a thought John, but if you had tapered the stick from further down (like a ships mast) it might not have looked so obvious. But great work anyway.

Andy.
[/QUOTE

:thumb2: The trees looks great John,
I like to put the top-branches up, perhaps you can mask the trunk a bit more when you ad some more up-growing small leaves?

View attachment 378899

Hi Buddy,

Andy has a great idea there! It's all trial and error anyway until you're happy with it. They look nice and green too!!!!

Why do I hear "Jingle Bells" playing in the back ground……...………………………….

Bleib Gesund
Dude 1
Hi John,
That's a great idea.
Suggestion, lay the 'trunk' down on the bench and then sand it to a taper by sanding and rotating the 'trunk' backwards and forwards over its full length. And if you point the top branch up you could disguise the top. Like this fellow.
Mike.
View attachment 378900
FOR DISCUSSION ONLY
Thanks guys, yes agree entirely.
Think the problems is with the thickness of the trunk. I need to thin it down more, the problem after that will be in drilling the holes in a very thin top section.
Out with the large belt sander tomorrow, mask on, invert the sander and turn them all down
Think will need to do another gathering of branches as well.
All good fun along with the fact that these branches look more like the European larch which in fact actually loses its colour in the winter.

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Certainly shows promise. Are the ferns stiff now they are dry or does the preserving keep them flexible?
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see these in the vertical position. When you se Mike's photo you realise how realistic they are. Great stuff mate.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
Certainly shows promise. Are the ferns stiff now they are dry or does the preserving keep them flexible?
Jim
Evening Jim, thanks , getting there slowly. The ferns are relatively flexible after the treatment. Bend one too far on the stem and they will collapse.

Nice to see these in the vertical position. When you se Mike's photo you realise how realistic they are. Great stuff mate.
Cheers mate, once I sort out that thinning. Think part of the problem is the hight, in relation to scale , Siberian Larch (Larix sibirica) can reach up to 40mtrs and have a trunk diameter of up to 1mtr. There's no way these model trees could replicate that mature hight , so some measurements will need to be scaled tomorrow.

John .

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Maybe use the back of a blade point to press a slot to mount the upper branches rather than drilling ounce tapered. Ferns really came out great. PaulE