More weathering attempts.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Just tried out more weathering attempts this time some dry brushing so opinions and comments as I want expand my weathering skillsP1040645.JPGP1040646.JPGP1040648.JPGP1040647.JPGP1040649.JPGP1040651.JPG

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Peter. It looks fine to me but I am not sure what you were dry brushing and that might just be the photos. Dry brushing is to bring out detail highlights and is done with a lighter colour, usually several different shades ending with a light grey or even white. I cannot make out much of a drybrush effect in the pics. I can see plently of streaks and dirt effects which look OK, but if that is what you were dry brushing then that is best done with washes and pigments. The end of the tarp, for instance, would benefit with a dark wash first to get 'in' to the detail 'lowlights' after which to drybrush with a couple of lighter colours of the base shade, perhaps a little white or light grey at the end to bring out the highlights. As the vehicle is painted metal I would dry brush some metallic wear and chips using Uschi Metal powders in places where you would get it. I hope that helps.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Hi Peter. It looks fine to me but I am not sure what you were dry brushing and that might just be the photos. Dry brushing is to bring out detail highlights and is done with a lighter colour, usually several different shades ending with a light grey or even white. I cannot make out much of a drybrush effect in the pics. I can see plently of streaks and dirt effects which look OK, but if that is what you were dry brushing then that is best done with washes and pigments. The end of the tarp, for instance, would benefit with a dark wash first to get 'in' to the detail 'lowlights' after which to drybrush with a couple of lighter colours of the base shade, perhaps a little white or light grey at the end to bring out the highlights. As the vehicle is painted metal I would dry brush some metallic wear and chips using Uschi Metal powders in places where you would get it. I hope that helps.
Thanks for the help as most of my brushes are a bit ancient so that doesn't really help.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Peter,

I'm still a newbie with modelling, however I find with dry brushing a less is more approach tends to work better (unless you are going for a really worn effect on corners).

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Stick with it. Dry brushing is probably the modellers' most important tool he or she has.

Gary G

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Don’t give up Peter. Keep at it and eventually you’ll find something that works for you. I have noticed on you tube that you can practise weathering on an old piece or under/inside the vehicle. I’m like you,I’ve done one model so far where I have put a bit extra into it. I will just try again and watch how to videos, that’s part of the fun.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That does not look at all bad to me. OK the tarps dont look great but that is more to do with the molding than anything else.

Weathering is something to keep going with, tying different things, that is the only way to learn. Ultimately that model looks better than it would if you have not tried weathering.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Peter

Wasn't around when you did this but I think it's fine out very well indeed.

ATB.

Andrew

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nothing stands out as wrong Peter.
The wheel inners look good, may be a little dust on the tyres ? but the main body is great.
:thumb2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Peter dont give up after just one or two attempts ,watch the vids read the books and magazine articles but don't forget these are done by people with a vast amount of experience and they make it look easy take it on board but use that to develop your own way of doing it

D

Deleted member 5496

Peter a trick I have used is to calm things down a bit.

Just a small piece of 1500 wet & dry paper. Cut a bit about an inch square. Work it a little with water to soften it up a bit & lose its hard bite.

Then with lots of water, keep dipping the paper in water the more the merrier. Rub away very very gently in a more circular motion.& get the feel. Continually wipe away the water with any debris to see how things are progressing.

Found this calms things down & gently does away with hard edges plus giving a more natural texture. But care not to go over the top. Take it easy & study progress. Start in an area which is not so easily seen to find a good technique.

I have used this technique on for instance wings, which are a single colour, which gives a nice texture to the paint which would otherwise be monotonous.

Laurie