Morris Mini Cooper Works Mini 1965"

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi guys and gals

Well this is my entry into the pre 90s race cars

I'm not a car builder and so this is my first.

I made a start on it a couple of weeks ago but work is taking my time up a lot lately

What I intend to do with it is spray it Red with a white roof and make it a nice looking race car ( then I'm going to stick it in a dio with some cloths over the windows as the centre pillar has been damaged beyond repair from previous owner.

It will be say a " barn find "

image.jpeg

Kind regards

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Progress so far and some pics

There will be rust streaks but nothing to drastic as I want it to be a gem find ( lots of dust though which I'm still trying to work out how to acheive

Have used the stynylrez primer before I started painting the engine and running gear ( all Tamiya paints used up now ) it says in the instructions to paint the body with a TS spray but seeing as the body is very small I think with careful spraying I could acheive the same with a/b ?

eBay buy ( as you can tell by the glass this needs covering once complete

Pics

Comments welcome

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

P

Polux

Tha classic Tamiya kit. Nice choice!!

And very clean and tidy work so far ;)

Thanks for join in!

F

Fenlander

Good way to replicate dust is to use, well, dust or, as we modellers call it, pigments. Great little car.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Good way to replicate dust is to use, well, dust or, as we modellers call it, pigments. Great little car.
Beleve this or not Graham the wife and I went to a stock car race a few years ago and we saw a reliant robin stock car race and she said now that would put a smile on the faces of the forum ( I'm not a Del Boy ) and don't think there is a kit of a supervan iii) so I'm sticking with what's in my stash ( old eBay buy )

Robert

D

dubster72

I've always wanted to do an Italian Job dio with the 3 Mini Coopers jumping the gap over the test track, so this will be an interesting build Robert.

Although you don't use enamels, this is an interesting tutorial. It might spark some ideas

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
I've always wanted to do an Italian Job dio with the 3 Mini Coopers jumping the gap over the test track, so this will be an interesting build Robert.
Although you don't use enamels, this is an interesting tutorial. It might spark some ideas

So in effect I could use this tech with enamels ( I don't have any but the odd tin wouldn't hurt.

Once the model is finished and sealed with ( eg Johnsons klear ) I could go over with an enamel light dusting spray then do the vertical stokes with the thinners?

As long as you seal in between dusts this could possibly work?

Great video help

Robert

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Beleve this or not Graham the wife and I went to a stock car race a few years ago and we saw a reliant robin stock car race and she said now that would put a smile on the faces of the forum ( I'm not a Del Boy ) and don't think there is a kit of a supervan iii) so I'm sticking with what's in my stash ( old eBay buy )
Robert
I had a Reliant Robin in the 80s for a few years. I really loved it, the only car I ever had. It took me, a big black Labrador and camping gear all over the place and left me with a lifetime of happy memories of wandering the hills and camping.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
I had a Reliant Robin in the 80s for a few years. I really loved it, the only car I ever had. It took me, a big black Labrador and camping gear all over the place and left me with a lifetime of happy memories of wandering the hills and camping.
I remember it was so funny all these 3 wheelers going round in circles at must have been top whack and due to the fibreglass body's they rolled over very easy. In my younger days when I was a sea cadet I remember the petty officer having a reliant supervan and he on occasions gave 3 of us kids a lift home. I remember sitting in the back holding the door shut.

D

dubster72

\ said:
So in effect I could use this tech with enamels ( I don't have any but the odd tin wouldn't hurt.
Once the model is finished and sealed with ( eg Johnsons klear ) I could go over with an enamel light dusting spray then do the vertical stokes with the thinners?

As long as you seal in between dusts this could possibly work?

Great video help

Robert
That's exactly it! The downside is waiting for the protective clear coats to cure fully.

But for your purposes, one application should be enough. You can apply a dusty effect directly with an airbrush.

I used Tamiya buff on a Panzer III that I'm building

IMG_0001.jpg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Chrome work

I'm looking to later on in this project and thinking is it better to paint over this shiney plastic or sanit down first then paint over?

I need it old chrome as I want to do rusting to it

image.jpeg

F

Fenlander

If you want rid of the plating, soak it in thick household bleach, it will disappear and leave you with bare plastic.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
If you want rid of the plating, soak it in thick household bleach, it will disappear and leave you with bare plastic.
Thanks Graham

Chinese takeaway dish with some paragons in and I'll check it tommorow

Cheers

Robert

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice and who would not like a mini,nice progress so far,

very interesting vids,and useful info,ta, :D

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
It shouldn't take that long Robert.
Trying to do what I can on the bench in between work shifts ( busy week at work though but I'll try getting the odd hour or two in here and there

Robert

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Trying to do what I can on the bench in between work shifts ( busy week at work though but I'll try getting the odd hour or two in here and there
Robert
I meant it shouldn't take all night to bleach the chrome off Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
I meant it shouldn't take all night to bleach the chrome off Robert
Well your spot on it only took max of 10 mins and with a nice wash after it was back to black ( song in there somewhere )

Brilliant top Graham and thanks Ian

I really do learn lots from this forum

Fancy using bleach !!!!

Now to respray chrome/dull then klear then start attackingthe rust spots with oils ( lots to do

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg