Mosquito PR Mk34 Conversion from Airfix PR XVI 1/48.(Rons Recon GB).

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I can't find anything else to add/do to this so I think I will quite while I'm ahead!
As per the Build thread: https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/ian-ms-pr-mosquito-xvi-airfix-1-48.33679/
This was beaten together from the Airfix kit of the Mk XVI. 99% of the differences are avionics and a few minor details to the air-frame.
I could have added the correct shape underwing tanks, but at £25 I thought it a bit over the top, the base kit having cost just over a tenner...!
I enjoyed the build and have now found that if I save up from my pocket money (lol) I can get the resin parts needed to convert the much nicer Tamiya kit. (also in both 1/48 and 1/32 I believe). Not that this is not a nice kit..... Once built.
My biggest moan would have to be the very weak main wing fitting points. Its just a bit hit and miss. On this particular build mostly miss!
Thank God for Milliput.
Painted with Xtracrylix paints and the tiny amount of weathering done with Vallejo washes: brown black and grey. Yes I applied the exhaust stains with a brush! Idea was to make it looked stained but also washed/cleaned. Its a post war kite and they had more than enough time between sorties to get the soapy water and brooms out!
As a point of interest, maybe to some, This flew out of Singapore and was the last Mossie flown on active duties for the RAF.
DSC_1461.JPG

DSC_1462.JPG

DSC_1463.JPG

DSC_1464.JPG

DSC_1465.JPG

DSC_1466.JPG
Hope you like her. I do.
Sorry if the photos are a bit washed out.
Comments welcome.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great job. I don't think I've seen a photo reconnaissance Mosquito before.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic job Ian , the build wasnt exactly a walk in the park but youve nailed it , loving the scheme , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great result Ian. Glad the landing gear took the load okay given the difficulty with it.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Ian terrific job, nice to see in these colours makes a nice change, like the fact at the end very interesting made me look into it a bit more :thumb2: .
Pete.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ian

I like her very much. Very nicely done indeed and as the others have said something a bit different!!

ATB

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ian
Something different. A great result from a difficult kit. Perhaps more satisfying because the kit had its problems which you had to overcome. Well done.
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Chaps. It must be the masochist in me. Its nice with an easy kit but the challenge of an 'iffy' one does have great rewards. Nothing worse though than fighting a build all the way only to find that the last parts, normally a wing or canopy just will not fit what ever you try. (That reminds me..... Gannet canopies still need finding!)

Cheers!