Moulding issue with Tamiya kit. Advice wanted please.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

I'm currently building Tamiyas new 1/48 Lightning, but there seems to be a chunk missing!

I've posted on here first as I've been known to overlook the obvious before, but on one of the boom sides it looks as though not enough plastic got injected into the mould to meet in the middle. I only noticed it today after clipping it off the sprue for clean up. The radiator cowlings partially cover some of it, but there's still a fair bit visible.

ecNRuwP.jpg

hUZovVN.jpg

1GDo1Pw.jpg

gC5ydbL.jpg

So my question is - has anyone come across something similar before, and what's my best course of action? Contact the seller for a replacement or can I go straight to Tamiya somehow? My wife bought this as a Christmas present so unfortunately it didn't come from John, but it is a reputable online shop.

I guess I could effect a repair but I'd rather not if I don't have to, and I don't want to ask around on the Farcebook modelling pages I frequent just yet in case it turns out to be a widespread problem when people check their stash, and Tamiya gets inundated with requests for spare parts.

Thanks,
Andy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
yes, that's a short moulding - the injected plastic hasn't filled the mould. Technically you should contact the retailer, but I bet all they'd would be to point you to Tamiya. I've no idea of their customer support contacts, is there nothing in the instructions? Either way, you could be in for a wait - not very good for such a new tooling!
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Dave. Of course it would be the weekend when most places are probably shut!

Cheers Alan. A quick look at the Tamiya site refers me straight to the UK agent - The Hobby Company. Will probably fire emails off to both them and the seller and see what happens.

D

Deleted member 7181

Brilliant, thank you guys. Email sent to The Hobby Company

I just wanted to check I wasn't losing my mind and it was supposed to be like that! :smiling5:

Looks like I'll have to find something else to get on with now. Shame as I was on a roll with this and really enjoying it. As Dave says, poor show for such a recent release with such great reviews, but I guess this stuff happens.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I had a major problem with a Dragon Tiger kit where the hull was well out of shape, contacted Hobby company who were excellent and sent me a new kit and kept the old one, very good service!

D

Deleted member 7181

That would be a result Bob if they sent a complete kit. I'm sure I could fix this one if it came to it so I'd end up with two!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Fingers crossed, Dragon had a problem with the first batch and the hull was well out, and being the major part made the kit un-buildable, very impressed with there service

D

Deleted member 7181

I'll just be happy if they replace the part, but if it's 6 weeks as in Alan's case I'll have to learn some patience!

It's already packed up and safely in its box, so I've dusted off the Stug and brought it back to the bench. Are you sure didn't have a hand in this Bob? :tongue-out3:

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, have dealt with the hobby company before they are in Milton Keynes, my dog attacked a sprue, I contacted them and they sent me a replacement no problems so you should be ok, got it next day, especially as it looks like a moulding issue. The hobby company stock in a massive warehouse in MK the guy there went into the warehouse and pulled the item then sent an email for my address, I played on Tamiya are my favourite brand etc, in my opinion there customer service was second to none. Might be worth getting them to check yours was an isolated one and not a batch. Good luck.

D

Deleted member 7181

Sounds good Mark, fingers crossed.

I'll certainly put the word out on the modelling groups I'm part of, once mine is sorted lol. I know some of you guys have stuff in your stash for months, even years, so better that people have a look through now and get a replacement sorted, rather than having a nasty surprise when they eventually get around to building it.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet though so hopefully it's an isolated incident, last thing on a Friday type kit.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
@Bobthestug . Shame Dragon didn't help me out when i contacted them. I was missing a whole sprue from an aircraft kit and even offered to buy it. Because i didn't have the receipt they wouldn't even entertain my request. Had to chuck the whole kit because it was un-buildable

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I dealt with hobby company as they were the importer not Dragon, have heard they are poor

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi, have dealt with the hobby company before they are in Milton Keynes,.... The hobby company stock in a massive warehouse in MK .....

Just looked them up and discovered I have a 40,000 sq ft warehouse full of kits quite literally on my doorstep and I didn't know about it!!!! And yet they are a wholesaler and so I'll need never get to see inside..... Life is just so unfair sometimes.....☹️☹️

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Just looked them up and discovered I have a 40,000 sq ft warehouse full of kits quite literally on my doorstep and I didn't know about it!!!! And yet they are a wholesaler and so I'll need never get to see inside..... Life is just so unfair sometimes.....☹☹
Where abouts are you ? You say they are on your doorstep, I live in Milton Keynes, I was lucky I think in that when I needed the sprue they let me collect, I'm only 10 minutes away, when there they showed me there foyer, lots of display cabinets, and a quick look at the warehouse, its huge. They act mainly as a wholesale outlet, but Al's Hobbies in Wolverton can order stuff in if it's a decent size order otherwise if there's no rush he said he'd add it to his order with them.