Mr Color / MRP / Tamiya - cleaning question

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I am considering options beyond Vallejo and can find no decent information online, so I thought I’d try and tap in to your collective experience. Apologies if this is a duplicate thread; I’m on the road and using my phone.

My question is this: what do you use to clean the following?

Mr Color
MRP
Tamiya

I would always use the matching branded thinning medium and my only concern is keeping the airbrush clean.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 7181

For Mr Color I use cheap cellulose/lacquer thinner. I hear it's very good for MRP too.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I’m still in two minds. The main issue is the flammable, hazardous nature of the things.

I pretty much only use three colours (white, sky & EDSG) so might be worth trialling with the first that runs out.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I use Mr levelling thinner....same as I use to dilute the paint.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yes, but I do’t spray often enough to think it’s an issue. I only use a few mL to clean through the brush, then strip the brush and use a few more mL to wipe down the needle, clean through the nozzle, and clean the cup and brush.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
With MRP I use i.p.a. mostly with the benefit that it is cheap bought in bulk (but store it safely...)

I also use Mr Tool Cleaner as it is stronger than i.p.a. and lacquer thinners. I don't use it all the time, only if I think it needs some extra cleaning power or when I do a full strip clean at the end of a project. https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/400ml-mr-tool-cleaner-r-mr-hobby-t-116

I have not tried it but you can get bulk purchases of lacquer cleaner from hardware shops or on-line that can clean just about anything, strong stuff.

One word of warning - make sure your airbrush seals are solvent proof before using Mr Tool cleaner of lacquer cleaner.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks for the feedback. All really useful info for consideration.

On the storing bulk IPA, I would store in the garage, well out of reach of the kids, and bring it in in small quantities.

I had considered the O rings. I guess the only solution is to clean in soapy water after each use. No big deal.