Mr. Dissolved Putty

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I got given a unopened bottle of this today and if i'm honest i have absolutely no idea how to use this stuff or clean up the model and applicator afterwards. Never used it before as i've only ever used Squadron and Vallejo fillers.

Any advice guys?

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I recently brought some Mr primer surfacer and have used Mr sufacer 500 before....I think it’s all the same stuff as what you have, it’s just different viscosities?
I’ve used the Mr Surfacer 500 as a liquid filler for tiny gaps and hole filling and also for creating rough surface on a rusty exhaust.
I used lacquer thinner for clean up or thinning....but seem to remember it destroyed my brush:thinking:
Experiment with it, but be warned.....it proper stinks:tongue-out2:

Last edited:

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I have used Mr Dissolved Putty and Mr Surfacer, and as far as I can tell they are just about the same

As the name implies, they are much thinner versions of the usual model fillers and putties, like Squadron Green Putty
They are designed to be used as a final finishing putty or filler after you've sanded down ordinary putties & joints, when you might be left with very fine gaps & scratches
Paint it on, then sand it off as usual

They are applied by brush, which works well, but then you will be left with hardened filler, just like a paint brush if you don't clean it. You can clean the brush with cellulose thinners, which is a fiddle, or could try using a cotton bud, but here's what I do -

Get an empty nail varnish bottle, though it doesn't have to be absolutely cleaned out, and use the brush that comes with it. Then return the 'dirty' brush to the bottle. This will act as a keeper, and prevent the filler from drying out. Don't worry if you get a trace of nail varnish on the brush, it will just mix in.
For more control you can shorten the bristles slightly
You could do the same thing with an old liquid glue bottle

All these solvent based fillers, finishers and liquid glues are miscible with each other. If I have any Green Stuff left on my spatula I just stir it into the Mr Surfacer
But check your filler. They always used to be solvent based - toluene, xylene - but I think that some recent brands are water based

Search YouTube, there are several videos

And yes, it stinks!

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have just seen this. I have been using Mr Dissolved Putty for over 6 years and the other fillers I use are Mr Surfacer 500 and Vallejo Plastic Putty.

All three have their own uses.

Mr Dissolved Putty is the thinnest and is very self-levelling. I do mean very.

It is good for situations such as we all have had, a gluey finger mark marring the surface. In such situations I lightly sand then run a brush of MDP over the area and leave it plenty of time to cure. It levels down into any minor surface imperfections and when dry just lightly sand it. Most of the product evaporates away so there is not much left to sand. It is also good for some of those more stubborn seams along a fuselage.

Often I find the need to thin it with MLT to make sure it has the right consistency.
It is a very useful product to have in your armoury.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning.
I used the metal primer, and one of the fillers. Without looking its the 500. I used it with a stippling motion to give a mantel a rougher cast look.
Last night I'd brushed the whole of the foil roof on my build with the metal primer. The fumes invaded the house. In the end I had to open thee cave door to the outside together rid of the fumes.
Certainly not stuff to breath or to work in an enclosed space.!!!!
John.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
You can use IPA to clean off the 500, and presumably the others.

I've used 500 to fill small gaps in wing roots, once dry a cotton bud with IPA wiped over removes the excess.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
You can use IPA to clean off the 500, and presumably the others.

I've used 500 to fill small gaps in wing roots, once dry a cotton bud with IPA wiped over removes the excess.

Does it have to be proper IPA or will Tamiya X20A work ?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Not sure, I've only tried IPA.

I have read that X-20A is basically IPA so I guess it would work.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Could you try cellulose thinners, though may be a bit strong for plastic ?
I use it to clean the brush.
John .

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cellulose would work, but you might melt the plastic.

I've used cellulose with Squadron green putty for seamless jet exhaust intakes, but it's risky.