Mr Hobby aqueous thinners

First Name
Daniel
Hello,

So I am interested in trying mr hobby aqueous on my next project. Now I have searched it and I noted that there is a thinner Mr Aqueous Hobby Colour Thinner for this line of paint. However, I am not sure if that thinner has any retarder in it to make this paint work with airbrush. I am wondering how people are thinning this paint for airbrush? Note: I cannot use any lacquer based products or thinners as I am not in ideal position ventilation vise. I know that lacquer stuff has nasty fumes so that is a no go. AFAIK Mr hobby aqueous are alcohol based ones and way more manageable.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
like you i cant use lacquer based stuff............ive used vallejo for a long time but am rapidly switching to Mr Hobby Aqueous..........i use the proper thinner....no idea if it has retarder but it sprays nicely once you work out the ratio that suits you............sometimes some colours have an odour but its not unpleasent and certainly not like lacquer!

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I will say first I have no association with mr hobby ,but their aqueous range of paints is the best out there(my opinion) the pigmentation is second to none, I only use aqueous thinner to thin with ,this i also use to thin mig and tamiya acrylics with no problems. Thinning and air pressure as Paul says are the key factor ,retarder?why when you've thinned the paint every thing should be fine. Please buy a jar and some thinners forget about your model ,get some printer paper or even a old cupboard queen spend a few hours mixing and thinning till you find your happy place for want of a better way of putting it ,time spent doing this is time well spent , practise doesn't I suppose make perfect nothing does but if it makes you want to airbrush rather than worry about all the things that COULD go wrong job done. Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I like the Mr. Hobby (I’m finally managing to not call them Gunze-Sangyo anymore :smiling3:) aqueous paints, and used to thin them with windscreen wiper fluid, though last time I used them, I switched to straight isopropanol. Either works fine, is my experience.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That too, though I found Tamiya and Gunze sprayed better when thinned with alcohol. But plain tap water will do in a pinch, certainly.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Use the recommended thinner thats what its for a bottle doesn't cost much and should last for years ,your only talking enough thinner to mix enough for a airbrush cup ,as I said will also thin tamiya and mig acrylics, no need to get involved with all the myths and alchemy you wouldn't put diesel in a petrol car?no need for the other two bad boys flow improver paint flows when thinned correctly and retarder what ever that is. Paint consistency and air pressure its that simple get these two factors right and you've sussed it , practice on something that doesn't matter enjoy spending a few hours not worrying but getting it right,I've been there built the model only to fear the air brush I think we all have but once it all clicks you won't look back plus your think what was that all about. Dave.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Use the recommended thinner thats what its for a bottle doesn't cost much

been saying that for ages

always strikes me as odd that people buy expensive air brushes, then buy this lovely paint thats punted out to us by all these manufacturers....................then try to cheat on the thinners by buying something else just cos its cheap!!!

a small bottle of mr hobby aquaeous is under 4 quid.....one bottle lasts me a year or more!