Mr Surfacer, any good??

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi all, on the bum again

Been watching a few videos on YT ref aircraft and most use Mr Surfacer, is it any good?

Any advice would be great!

Ta bob

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Bob,

Mr surfacer comes in a few different grades ,Some are thick like a filler and some thin like a paint.
They have a primer too which I’ve used and quite like, As they can take a bit of light sanding :smiling4:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They are basically cellulose filler primers (think knife stopping) of different grades. The higher the number the finer they are. I think they work really well and use the 1500 as a primer on anything that needs a high quality surface finish. They work best on small imperfections and scratches, polishing up well. Big gaps or seam joint issues would respond better to something like Tamiya filler.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use Mr Surfacer 500 as one of the three fillers I use. The others are Mr Dissolved Putty and Vallejo Plastic Putty. All are excellent, each having different attributes and applications.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Bob,
I have used it for years on armor builds. 500 is coarse and 1000 is fine. I'm pretty sure there are others available but these are the only two I have used. This I believe, is like a lacquer base and requires Mr. Color thinner. I have never used their primer so can't comment on it. Very good products I highly recommend its use

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I've recently started using their 1000 & 120 grades for fine filling work. I just paint it on with a brush and sand back as required. Can't comment on their primer as never used it.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thank you all, will give it a bash!

Many thanks bob

D

Deleted member 7181

I use 500 as a filler, 1000 as a primer when I need a thicker coat for covering imperfections, and 1500 is my main primer. I find them all brilliant.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Andy. So you do not use filler just surfacer?? From what i have seen on YT most use filler them surfacer?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I recently started using the 1500 as a primer (Blackbird build) and really liked it. You can overcoat it with a light spray of MLT to get a really smooth surface

I've also used the 500 for a while, dabbed on by brush as a filler for small seams and wing roots. It's particularly good for the latter as when it's dry you can go over with a cotton bud dampened with IPA to clean any excess.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Bob

Sorry to be thick but whats mlt??

Bob

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Andy. So you do not use filler just surfacer?? From what i have seen on YT most use filler them surfacer?
Sorry, yes, I also use other fillers for bigger gaps etc, but as far as the Mr Surfacer range goes I've found the 500 has pretty good filling and levelling properties and sands well. It can also be thinned with MLT (Mr Levelling Thinner) to help it flow into tiny gaps, or smoothed out with a brush dampened in MLT if you need to.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I bought 500 and 1000 years ago, and must say I wasn’t terribly impressed with them. Magazine articles had lead me to believe it would be easy to add texture to models with them, and that proved rather more difficult because the stuff just wasn’t thick enough to hold much texture, in my experience. I also found it difficult to clean it off my brushes.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I bought 500 and 1000 years ago, and must say I wasn’t terribly impressed with them. Magazine articles had lead me to believe it would be easy to add texture to models with them, and that proved rather more difficult because the stuff just wasn’t thick enough to hold much texture, in my experience. I also found it difficult to clean it off my brushes.
Hi Jakko, after reading an article I just use some of my wife's nail varnish remover, as acetone is the main ingredient of the cleaner they recommended using and so far I've had no issues - at least I won't until my wife finds out!!

ATB

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I might have to see about getting hold of acetone, then, as part of the reason I didn’t use it much is because I don’t want to ruin any more brushes :smiling3:

First Name
Wouter
I always use Mr. Surfacer for priming...The 1200 comes in grey and black. Thinned with their Mr. Levelling thinner it's superb

Cheers

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I've used Mr Surfacer for years for priming and filling small imperfections or tiny cracks. The thicker versions are great for creating cast iron tank surfaces. The thin primers are great for planes with fine engraved panel lines when airbrushed on.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Cheap cellulose (aka lacquer) thinner cleans it up easily.
Thanks Andy. Couldn't remember the name, found it on a car paint website that made the link to acetone.