Mr.surfacer etc.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just one of those questions you often wonder about but never really ask.

Mr. Surfacer, what is it, how do you use it and why do you use it. What do you use it for.

Do I need some?!?!?!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well it comes in various grade and forms. The finer grades are really glorified primers and the coarser grades fine fillers. You can buy it in a pot and apply it with a brush or thin it and spray it (messy!). Alternatively you can buy it in an aerosol. It is good stuff.

Do you need it? Honestly,probably not. I rarely use it,but do have some in the cupboard.

Cheers

Steve

M

munkster

A magazine article I read suggested that applying Mr Surfacer 500 to narrow gaps at joints (eg. well fitting* wing roots) then using a cotton bud dipped in IPA while still reasonably wet (the Mr Surfacer that is) to run along the join will get rid of the excess easily and leave you with a decent filled joint.

I bought some off the Bay from HK and I think I need more practice at it, that's all I'll say!

*not like my Spitfire I just did, in other words!!

P

phalinmegob

did you buy it off empire rc from hong kong,got mine yesterday and it took a month to arrive. just tried some on a wing root and it dried very fast ( about three minutes and touch dry) . where do you guuys get IPA from as i went to a few local chemists and they told me i had to get it on prescription , never thought of going to my doctors for airbrush cleaner .

M

munkster

Empire RC yeah, took about 2 weeks I think, so maybe I was lucky.

I tend to buy a litre of IPA at a time (good for cleaning grease off mountain bike disc rotors too!) off eBay - eg. IPA ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL ISOPROPANOL- 1 LITRE min 99% pure on eBay (end time 02-Jul-11 14:12:40 BST) most recently. HTH!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
where do you guuys get IPA from
Last lot I bought was from Maplins,I presume they still sell it.

Cheers

Steve

P

phalinmegob

thanks guys, will get some of e-bay unless i go the doctors again soon, need some more blood pressure tabs anyway.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
What do you use ipa for??? And what is it surposed to be used for

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well last I was in England IPA was a beer!!! I think its rubbing alcohol but what good you get out of that I have no idea. lol

I think I will stick with the thinned down humbrol filler and old paint brush.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

Mr Surfacer 500 (which is probably the product you're referring to) is basically, as Steve says, a liquid filler. It is useful but, to be honest, you can make your own liquid filler simply by thinning your normal tube putty. You could, for instance, thin down Squadron or Humbrol putty with cellulose thinners (lacquer thinners to anyone in the US). Just squeeze the amount you want into a metal container (I use metal jar lids) and then add the thinners slowly to get the consistency you want. I find it very useful for filling fine gaps as its more easily controlled with a brush than applying the tube stuff. You can also build up layers quite quickly as the thinners evaporates quite rapidly.

Hope this helps

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Andrew, you can get Mr surfacer and all the other gunze sangyo stuff here in the uk from MDC (model design construction) plus they do some excellent p.e. belts in various scales amongst alot of other nice goodies!! heres a link http://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/ModelDesignConstruction/_-/1 hope this helps cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
IPA,Isopropylalcohol that is,is a good thinner for some paints as well. I think Maplins stock (stocked?) it as it is used for cleaning electronic components. It was also,as someone said,known as rubbing alcohol. The problem was that some people will drink anything with alcohol on the label and that's why you won't find it in UK chemists anymore.

I'm not a big fan of the other IPA,India Pale Ale that is,although,unlike isopropylalcohol,you can drink a lot of it without going blind!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Isopropal alcohol is used in the aviation industry as a degreaser.Notably on engine fan blades.You can thin some acrylic paints with it.Ive used it to thin Mister colour paints and it worked well.