Mr Surfacer products

zuludog

SMF Supporter
A few years ago I filled joints & faults with Milliput or Green Stuff, did the sanding, then for a final finish I put on a coat of paint, let it dry for a couple of days, then did the final, fine sanding

Well, I've just returned to modelling after a break of several years and I see there is now a product made especially for that final finish - Mr Surfacer

Or to be more correct there seem to be several similar finishes - Mr Surfacer, Mr This and Mr That, all with various grades

I've Surfed The Net and YouTube a bit, but am still confused

Could someone advise me or recommend a beginner's or starter selection for these Mr... products.

Say just 2 or 3 types? I make 1/72nd aeroplane kits

And a mail order supplier, please? Unless you know of a shop in the Greater Manchester area that sells them.

Failing that, I suppose I could always go back to clear dope and talcum powder!

Thanks Zuludog

P

phalinmegob

i have only used mr surfacer 500 and find it very good. its a very light filler that id liquid enough to be brushed on like a paint. for a stockist just click the green banner at the top of this page mate

L

Laurie

I use for most filling Mr Surfacer 500. The 1000 and 1200 are very watery and more like primers. The 500 has body and is very good for filling very small gaps.

I use a small brush to apply and IPA to flatten. Just build up the layers until the gap is filled level. To finish I use wet and dry in wet form.

For slightly wider defects I use Vallejo Putty more like a toothpaste. Flatten with a finger. Very good for getting into difficult places. Use IPA with a brush to flatten and smooth when dry. I then when cured apply a coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 over the Vallejo Putty as this gives a very smooth non porous surface.

Any large gaps and I use card the thickness of the gap with Mr Cement S or Tamiya thin. Then resort to one of the above to finish.

Laurie

First Name
Aaron
Mr dissolved putty for me. Mr surfacer is great stuff.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Thanks for the replies so far. Now another similar question.

I have Squadron/MMD Green Putty.

Of the various Mr... products I thought I'd try Mr Surfacer 500 first. Can it be applied over Green Putty?

I think Green Putty & Mr Surfacer 500 would do me for the moment

What solvent do I need for Mr Surfacer? anything special, or would meths or IPA (isopropyl alcohol) be alright?

I've seen Mr Dissolved Putty. What is that, and how is it different from their other products?

Thanks again for the advice; like I said, I'm confused

L

Laurie

I use IPA Zuludog.

Disolved putty is similar to Mr Surfacer made by Mr Hobby. Not as thick as Surfacer 500.

Laurie

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Thanks for all your replies

Over the next few days I'll be ordering a load of goodies from the Scale Model Shop

Also, I thought I might as well stock up on a few solvents & thinners. I have white spirit and meths, but I'll also get IPA/isopropyl alcohol; cellulose thinners; and acetone, or at least the strongest nail varnish remover I can find.

Hopefully all that should keep me going for the forseeable future

I found an interesting video on YouTube where they thin Squadron Green Putty with IPA - 'Squadron Putty part 1' and 'Squadron Putty part 2'