Mud ? Does this look ok

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looks great to me Al, nice splatter effect. Nowt wrong with it as far as I can tell, looks in scale with the model and is effective.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Richard
Looks great to me

well done.

Cheers Richi

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks perfect to me Alan , like hes just driven through a few fresh cowpats !! One thing i did notice though was on the first pic , the inside face of the wheels need some mud on them too it stands out a bit . The actual application and authenticity is faultless , are you going to share it or copyright it!!cheers tony

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Looks pretty good from here .......... If it's going to be close to the water on the dio then a wet look is fine ........ If not then I'd dry it off with a Matt Coat ....... Bu that's just my humble opinion.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys I know I'm on the right track now :smiling3:

Tony yeah it will be done :smiling3: and its a simple method, I just stipple the paint on thickly and as it drys I stipple it again so it drys bobbled then I gave it a dry brush with mud brown gloss it's an easy way to do it and you can add to it after if you want a thicker crusting

Peter it's not going to be by water and the dirt track it's on will be frozen I'm going for a winter morning look but not snow so I think I'll add the matt coat and maybe give it a more earthy tough up in some places thanks for pointing it out :smiling3:

L

Laurie

If it was me Alan and I had the same problem with my Landrover WM1K. Once you start applying liquid other than water to pigments ie varnish or other concoctions the pigments darkens appreciably.

On the bonnet of the vehicle there is an area which is much lighter than the remainder. This gives a good contrast to the vehicle colour. For me the mud melts into the colour of the vehicle and is lost.

If it could be achieved I would have started at the bottom the darker colour and progressed upward until at the top the mud had dried. I would also have had some very random splater further over the bonnet in dried mud. when you splash through a deep puddle fast the splatter goes all over the place it is thrown up in the air then decends on to higher parts including a screen if there is one. I would also make the edges more random as that is what mud does it is not uniform in edge.

Those are my thoughts.

laurie

L

Laurie

Just add Alan that if you do have a screen with wipers it looks really effective to show the sweep of the wipers area clean with splattering around the wiper edge and reminder of the screen.

Tried this with dust on my Merlin Helicopter. I did not make it distinctive enough unfortunately but what there is is effective.

Laurie

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I do like the look of it,and how you did get the texture to it,and not just flat paint, ;)

the couple of thing i found of said have been said,:rolleyes:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers folks I'm glad you like it :smiling3:

I got the idea when I noticed my wheel well on my car when I was putting some air in it , it just took some thinking of how to replicate it :smiling3:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
The way I give mud effects is thus:-

Small microwave plastic dish like the takeaway ones from Chinese

3 tablespoons of white PVA

6 tablespoons of distilled water

6 teaspoons of fake grass ( like farm hobby shops

2 teaspoons of tea leafs from a tea bag ( new or used not fussy )

Method mix the mixture together once all is tacky add 1/2 a teaspoon of revel dark earth ( Vallejo mud brown and sandy brown also )

Using a stiff brush ( old artists brush or old paint brush will do. Dip in mixture and liberally dab all over the underside of desired vehicle getting into all the wells where you think mud will form.

Once dry you can dry brush dark leather and dark earth and occasional light earth on higher parts ( simulate dryer mud splatter )

I used this method on my quad gun and tractor I posted here not long back and I'll be doing same routine on my hetzer ( Ardennes assault )

This works for me but I know there are lots of other ways out there

Robert

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I will give this way a try and it never hurts to try a diffidence way, ;)

thank you for shearing this with us, :D

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
I will give this way a try and it never hurts to try a diffidence way, ;)
thank you for shearing this with us, :D
Thanks Monica ( you can also dilute it more for s dryer mud finish or keep wet, I tried dabbing on the off bit of gloss here and there to simulate wetter mud like Alan has done here and it works well.

Let me know how you get on

Regards

Robert

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
The way I give mud effects is thus:-
Small microwave plastic dish like the takeaway ones from Chinese

3 tablespoons of white PVA

6 tablespoons of distilled water

6 teaspoons of fake grass ( like farm hobby shops

2 teaspoons of tea leafs from a tea bag ( new or used not fussy )

Method mix the mixture together once all is tacky add 1/2 a teaspoon of revel dark earth ( Vallejo mud brown and sandy brown also )

Using a stiff brush ( old artists brush or old paint brush will do. Dip in mixture and liberally dab all over the underside of desired vehicle getting into all the wells where you think mud will form.

Once dry you can dry brush dark leather and dark earth and occasional light earth on higher parts ( simulate dryer mud splatter )

I used this method on my quad gun and tractor I posted here not long back and I'll be doing same routine on my hetzer ( Ardennes assault )

This works for me but I know there are lots of other ways out there

Robert
That's quite a process Robert thanks for sharing :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
PVA+ Brown paint. job done....

Brown pigment powdwers mixed with gloss varnish...Job done.

I believe in the KISS princibles "Keep It Simple Stupid!"

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
5 minute mud.

PVA where you want mud......

Soil from the garden...

Water....

Turn soil into natural mud, sloppy as you want.....

Drive/push vehicle, walk man, lead horse etc. through mud...

Let dry...

Another KISS principle.

Gloss only if it's just been in water. Mud dries very quickly.

Ron