My 1/72 non winter G.B., B.O.B. diorama

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tell you what Dave , you would have to open an awful lot of 1/72 cans to get drunk!

Anyway the weather is vile here today, so now the 109 is almost done I can do a bit on the dio.

I have added the ploughed field and painted it first coat with brown shed paint. (which the wife nipped out into the rain to get) well it is woman's work isn't it?

Also I took a mallet and wood chisel and hollowed out the chipboard to form a rough pond. I then used various coiloured shed paint for the pond bottom.

I'm starting to get an idea how the main composition will look now and I've had a few ideas for bits and bobs.

I hope you approve thus far people and thanks to those who are looking in..

Ron

View attachment 28030

View attachment 28031

View attachment 28032

2010 Nov GB 009.jpg

2010 Nov GB 008.jpg

2010 Nov GB 010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Eyup ron, coming on smashing mate,cant wait to see the crashed 109 in place. The weathers vile here too , so i might even get a bit done in the shed myself today! cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Liking the 109 Ron. Just a quickie though. You thinking of putting some staining coming out of the bullet holes on the engine? Just thought it might make it more authentic. If you aren't....still a great little build coming on lol

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the comments fellas.

Not much fun driving the truck around Derbyshire today Tony!

Thanks Al for the suggestion. As I posted in an earlier post, I still have loads more work to do on the 109 before I'm happy with it, bent prop blades and leading edges on both the wings and tail planes dinted, and yes a bit more fire damage. Thanks for the reminder. With the sieve stuck on my shoulders I need all the help I can get!

Also, after an exchange of P/Ms with Steve (stona) he informed me that if the pilot chose to jettison the hood prior to landing, everything aft of the windscreen, including the antenna, flew off! So I need to take the hacksaw to the rear portion of the canopy too...

Thanks again for the input chaps,

Ron

N

noble

Ron i've just found this mate and i like what your doing so far, the 109 looks the dogs mate and the dio is coming along nicely.

scott

S

Sky Raider

Coming together Ron, this has the makings of another master peice. Well done so far.

Andy

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
This is going to look great Ron, love the shed. The downed 109 has a few holes in her too, keep up the good work mate i'm loving this build.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks all for the nice comments, I appreciate it.

Last night I added some fence posts made from cocktail sticks and the 'wire' is sewing thread. Using shed paint, I applied a first coat on the field.

I found hacking out chipboard gives a nice, uneven texture to the pond bottom

I intend to finish the base more or less as it would have been before the unannounced 'Arrival' of the aircraft. Then I can try and figure out where best to shove the 109, and adjust the scenery accordingly!

Cheers all,

Ron

View attachment 28067

View attachment 28068

View attachment 28069

View attachment 28070

2010 Nov GB 031.jpg

2010 Nov GB 030.jpg

2010 Nov GB 032.jpg

2010 Nov GB 033.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ron

Sorry I've not being keeping up with the forum and I've missed this.

The base looks cool and your 109 looks suitably bullet ridden! Is there any way you can bend the props?(Please don't ruin it trying though!)

You've probably seen this photo but I include it as reference anyway. I believe this 109 made exactly the kind of landing you're depicting.

It'll look great on the base when finished.

All the best

Paul

View attachment 21129

View attachment 28127

Duxford 109.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the comments Paul.

In my earlier post I wrote that I still had work to do on the 109, and bending the props is on the list...No, it's done! I borrowed the wife's hair drier..Thanks for the reminder though, otherwise I might have forgotten, it's an age thing...

Thanks for posting the pickie. I have actually stood by this 109, it's at The Duxford Museum.

Ron

View attachment 28128

2010 Nov GB 041.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking good Ron.

Paul WW2 fighters often made very good wheels up landings. I have many photographs of virtually intact fighters which have done just that. If the pilot could get his flaps down he could land a Bf109E at around 70/75mph (10mph more without flaps) which actually isn't that fast if you've got a reasonably flat field to come down in. You'd want to avoid Ron's shed if possible!

Most of the Luftwaffe fighters flown by the RAE at Farnborough in tests during the early war years had landed this way and been restored to flying condition. Most had also been shot down by damage caused to their engines. If you were a Luftwaffe pilot whose engine was leaking oil or coolant you'd be unlikely to fancy a flight back across the channel. Ditching out at sea gave you a much,much smaller chance of survival.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bit of an update folks,

I've added some wooden rails to the fence and textured the grass using scrunched up cereal and painting it with green shed paint.

I have also planted some 'tatoes! (bit of cereal)

I had intended to finish the base, pond and all, but it seems pointless as it's going to have a visitor shortly so...

I have never done grass or sheds in any scale let alone 1/72 so I am enjoying learning new ( to me) methods of creating this sort of thing.

Next will be the introduction of the aircraft, altering things and finally adding bits and bobs

I hope you approve so far and thanks for the suggestions and input, I appreciate it.

Ron

"Mildred, come outside, there's a heck of a scrap going on up there, Gawd! one's been hit, it's a Jerry and he's coming down right on top of us....Run!"

View attachment 28194

View attachment 28195

View attachment 28196

View attachment 28197

View attachment 28198

View attachment 28199

2010 Nov GB 036.jpg

2010 Nov GB 039.jpg

2010 Nov GB 037.jpg

2010 Nov GB 034.jpg

2010 Nov GB 035.jpg

2010 Nov GB.jpg

J

JFJ

Hey Ron,

I think I know what scene this is :smiling3: ! It's the scene where the Polish pilot baled out after being hit and landed in a field, where an old man (or was it an old woman?) who mistook him for a German because of his accent marched him into the house? Correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers,

Adrian

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Well spotted, Adrian you are a very knowledgeable B.O.B. film buff! lol

That's the part of the film that loosely gave me the idea for this diorama. I hope I can do it justice...

Cheers,

Ron

N

noble

yeah the pilot lands and bows to the old farm hand and says"good day" the old farm hand replies good day indeed.

scott

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Quite "nice" language in the film. Peter Townsend (the one who nearly married Princess Margaret) was dragged from the channel by the crew of a fishing boat. Mistaking him for a German one of them announced "We've got a fucking hun". Townsend replied "No you haven't,you've got a fucking Englishman". He claimed to have been considerably the worse for drink by the time the by now far friendlier crew put him ashore!

Cheers

Steve